Early paddling video

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ezwater
C Maven

Early paddling video

Post by ezwater »

Don't be put off by the skiing at the start. The paddling is back in the days before hard shell decked boats.

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 62#p690021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
icyone
C Guru

Re: Early paddling video

Post by icyone »

Great footage! Before my time, but not by that much: there were still some "elders" around from that era whose technique was reminiscent, and I remember movies (no video then!) and books showing similar techniques.

Have to admit I enjoyed watching the endholers, I actually started in one, but fell in love at first sight with the first Gemini I encountered & quickly converted.
C-1's are the Gods of the River
thomsonbytheriver
Pain Boater

Post by thomsonbytheriver »

Wow- some really skilled paddlers in this. Of course, I loved seeing the kayakers doing the shoulder popping high braces! Thanks- very entertaining.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Put off by the skiing.. are you kidding! That's great stuff too! Looks like they were going for a daily double! Some steep skiing then fine boating! :-) Loved it!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
icyone
C Guru

Post by icyone »

Yeah, back when -- you headed for the Cheat/WVa in the spring with boats AND skis on the roof!

Whichever: armed for all possibilities.
C-1's are the Gods of the River
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Our paddling crew use to go cross country skiing on Saturdays and drive by the rivers on the way (no river gauges back then). We would then go paddling on Sundays.

Those boats were even before my time, although I did start paddling in the era before helmets.

Jim