Which slalom boat??

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

canotrouge
C Guru

Which slalom boat??

Post by canotrouge »

I'm wondering which slalom C1 would work for a guy my size, I'm 6'2", 230lbs, size 13 feet!! I would like to know of different models, old school is good, preferred actually, I don't need the latest design...

Thank you
David
ezwater
C Maven

Re: Which slalom boat??

Post by ezwater »

I have a '96 Dagger Zealot, and it fits my 6' 5" frame and size 15 feet. I set it up with a 5.75" minicell pedestal. I weighed about 210 when I was paddling it. Now it mostly hangs in the rafters because my knees complain when I kneel that low for more than a quarter hour.

At 230 pounds, you will overload even the biggest slalom c-1s more than I did. But that doesn't mean the hulls will handle badly, or that you can't do citizen races like I did.

Older hulls I would avoid include the Maverick and Maverick Plus. Fast, but too tubular.

I suggest you call or email Davey and Jennifer Hearn at Maximum Whitewater Performance. They are excellent resources for good used c-1 slalom boats, and will know which would be more suitable for you.
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

I'm 6-0, 210 and am at the top of the range for my Loco, but that design (or the more recent Robin Bell design Scorcho) would work out ok for you IMHO. I've been way overweight for boat designs many times over my simple citizen racer career and it's never been a real problem, although I once had a Nereus that had been cut down for a junior and I made that look like a squirt boat.

Good luck in your search.
Last edited by old and in the way on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

Thank you, I'm not looking at racing, just a boat to practice things, technique etc...
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

My Elaho is based off a Cudamax hull with a bigger volume deck and ends cut back
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I do encourage you to consider a Maverick Plus as it has some of the most volume of slalom boats. Also take a look at a Fanatic 2 (a Fanatic hull with volume added to bow). Davey Hearn's Dynamic or a Super Dynamic may be worthwhile and also add that Zealot to the list of boats to try. The Loco is one of the largest newer slalom c-1's.

Good luck, have fun, and keep us up-to-date.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

If you are looking to paddle, not race, check out the Millbrook Amoeba too... as well as the Wide Ride perhaps...
Keep the C!
Adam
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

Ok cool, that makes for a lot of choices!! We'll see what I can come up with!!
Thank you.
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

Believe it or not, the current crop of slalom boats are pretty good size wise - I started paddling my Vajda Scream XXL at 210 - it is rated at 187 lbs, but does just fine with a larger paddler- it has a much larger bow than many of the older boats. I have an old Zealot that "feels" smaller even though it is a 4 meter boat - but the zealot is a fun boat.

I would definitely stay away from superbat, extrabat, Fanatic - much smaller, thinner bow.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

my maverick plus floats my 225# just fine and, despite its reputation, it can be turned (especially with extra weight, muscle, and technique). it is fast...