Throw Rope Thoughts?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dave.E
C Guru

Throw Rope Thoughts?

Post by Dave.E »

My throw rope is basically useless in my boat. Clipped to the bottom or air bag net I always forget it while scouting and it takes a while to get out to actually use.

- Would I benefit from wearing it around my waist with a proper deployment belt? Are there any reasons making this bad?

I am looking into getting a real rescue rope because my current rope isn't rated for anything.

- Which 60ft rope would be better for general use: 6.35mm (9.3kN) or 9.5mm (14.3kN)? I am nervous that the 9.5mm will be way too bulky
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Throw Rope Thoughts?

Post by PAC »

Can't hurt to have both.
Usually I have one around my waist - Salamander lighter duty - at all times. I'm so use to it I feel naked with out it. But I take a bigger rope when paddling something higher class (IV up) and setting safety for same.

Having a proper and current rope are the ticket. Replacing is something I need to do too.

Remember the rope its really is not for you... but for your buddies. So make sure that they have one too. Would sux if you have one, they don;t and you get into trouble.

Finally take into account what you paddle. Will a short smaller rated rope be the ticket? Or would a heavy duty "raft" rated rope be over the top?

PS: Helps to have a pin & 1st aid kit handy too. 1st aid all the time for sure. Pin kit attached to boat for every day or if doing a lot of scouting having it on you helps. You can work up both fairly cheaply ... do a search on site and you'll see more details. Having them usually means you will not need them. But having them when needing them can be HUGE! Don't forget to learn how to use them - SWR and OEC are a bonus even in everyday life.

I'm sure others will chime in too. :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I don't think you are providing enough information to answer your question.... I carry two ropes. One big-fat grabline one that mostly stays in my boat in order to do rigging and hauls, and one small waist-belt one that is poly, but is really good for throwing to swimmers. If you only carry one, make it the most generally-useful one you have. (i.e. strong enough to do a haul, but small enough to throw well)

So, instead of answering your question, I would ask, what do you want to use your rope for? The answer to that will tell you what kind of rope you need.

Shep
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Since when do you get decide what you re going to need your rope for?
esprit
C Guru

Post by esprit »

Good point Ian. Thats why i think 1 high quality throwbag is the best answer. It can be used for any rescue that a rope will work for. I wear min in front of me and it doesnt get in the way of paddling or rolling.

I think a good bag is highly visible, floats, closes securely and has a system that I can get away from it in the event I was wearing it and it were to get tangled or was an entrapment issue. It should have a quick release on the belt where the quick release buckle is off to the side rather than in the front... if the quick release is in the front... and the rope has splayed out behind you... when it comes under tension you body may articulate at the waist and "double over" the release buckle.

The rope should float, be low stretch, visible, strong, abrasion resistant and of a sufficient diameter
that it is easy to grip and/or accept a prissik (that will be 1/3 smaller in diameter) to the actual rope.

I think you pretty much want the best/most versatile throwbag/rope available. When push comes to shove and you really need the best rope available... i dont think things like cost or compactness or convenience really matter that much.

j
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

Having graduated to a waist-worn rope has made me a much more useful participant in rescue scenarios and gear recovery situations. Having a full-strength/width rope under the airbag lines is smart, but it never gets pulled out (quickly enough) except for setting safety intentionally.

In my opinion, there is no reason to skimp and carry a skinny, short line that shoves into your life jacket; in a canoe, the waist worn rope has never been in my way. Additionally, I prefer the one that slides out for chucking. I don't want to throw the whole shebang with the buckle and webbing banging around.

My only complaint is the skinnier aspect bag is a little tougher to "stuff" when the work is done. It is a small price to pay for instant access to a rope if needed and not having to "get it out" each of those times it has not been needed.

The diameter on my rope is sufficient for most things. I have the NRS Guardian Waist Throw Bag. The "pro" offers an upgrade in rope strength, which may be advisable.

If I were on a comfy class II run, I would probably keep it casual and have a line clipped under the airbag cordage somewhere.

--Z
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

I've been wearing a throw bag at my waist for a long time and it is the most efficient way to have a bag handy. And always with a spectra core rope to. I usually cary a big hight capacity throw bag in my boat as well as a small pin kit and first aid kit.
I really like the look of this one http://salamanderpaddlegear.com/product ... -throw-bag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

But the one I have is this one, http://www.northwater.com/html/products ... Mouth.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
with http://www.northwater.com/html/products ... -Belt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

It work, but I don't like its shape!
hammerhead
C Guru

Post by hammerhead »

Dave, I had a similar ? back in the day under the heading; rescue throw bag?. There is some good, real world exp/info on that topic right here in the Forum. You may need some time to read the posts and to let it "sink" in.
I found it very helpful. Cheers, HH
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

ian123 wrote:Since when do you get decide what you re going to need your rope for?
There was no way I could carry a full-size bag in my Taureau and have it easily accessible, so I ended up with a compact bag. Now that I have the Option, and can clip a full-size bag on top of the airbags, I almost never take my compact bag (different from my waist belt).

So my point was that you decide what the right bag for you is when you pick a boat, and based on who you paddle with, and where you are going to be. In this forum, it's highly unlikely that he is thinking about unpinning an 18' oar rig with his throw-rope, but if that's even a possibility, that 2000 lb 60' rope shouldn't even be on the list. Conversely, if all he does is paddle small creeks, a 45' microbag like Astral sells might be a great choice.

Shep
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

I like the Beluga compact bag with 70' of 5/16" spectra. It comes with a belt so it can be worn around the waist and like Jim points out the quick release is off to the side. The rope should have enough strength should you ever need to set up a small drag with it. I'm still a bit paranoid of swimming with this much rope on me for fear of it coming out but I've getting comfortable with it

I also have an NRS bag with 75' of big 3/8" rope. The bigger rope is much nicer to hang onto or pull on, but the bag itself is big and cumbersome and I find it difficult to the throw and store in anything other than my tripping boats. While the rope is stronger and better for holding I'm less likely to want to carry it around and the bag you'll use is the bag you want!
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

You can pin or become entrapped on a small creek. Your safety gear is for the unexpected.

Convenience is the only advantage to carrying a compact rope and i don't think convenience should be the first priority. Hopefully if I ever really need a rope, the people around me have a good ones.

I m sure you could figure out a way to carry a rope in Taureau.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I did. I carried about 45' of rope in a bag that I could fit in the water bottle loops on the top of the boat. All I was arguing for is that ropes really aren't one-size-fits-all. Context DOES matter when you pick what kind of rope to carry.

Shep
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Context would be important if you could predict every type of incident that you might encounter. I ll just assume that you can. I can't so I ll continue to carry a full size bag and hopefully my friends will also.
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

ian123 wrote:

Hopefully if I ever really need a rope, the people around me have a good ones.
And know how to use it!! Cause some people carry every thing needed to do first aid or to pull some one out of the water, but they never practice with the stuff... And don't have a clue on how to use the stuff. Some, as important as carrying a good, accessible, suitable throw bag, is the practice to throw it where you need it to be for the swimmer to get it!!
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

8) I like a 60 foot rope, in a compact bag that is easy to throw.

I just throw the entire bag at the swimmer's head and let him deal with it. If I hit him good, that's the last of the problem.