Recall of WSRI helmets: Trident and Moment

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

djutzi
C Guru

Recall of WSRI helmets: Trident and Moment

Post by djutzi »

An FYI from north of the border, but this affects all WSRI Moment and Trident helmets sold between April and July 2012 in Canada, and March and November 2012 in the US.

Faulty chinstraps. 10 injuries in the US, none in Canada. You guys are buckling up your chinstraps down there, right? :wink:

More info here: http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-al ... 7r-eng.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
canotrouge
C Guru

Re: Recall of WSRI helmets: Trident and Moment

Post by canotrouge »

Thank you.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Here are details of the recall:
Description

This recall involves WRSI Moment and Trident models whitewater kayaking and rafting helmets. They have a black chinstrap with a black plastic buckle and were sold in sizes S/M and M/L. "WRSI" is printed under or on top of the helmet's visor. WRSI's "Wave Logo" is visible on the back of the Moment helmet. "WRSI" is printed vertically on the back of the Trident helmet. The part number is printed on the hang tag of both models. Helmets in the following colors or color combinations and sizes, and with the part numbers listed below, are being recalled:

Model

Moment (with and without vents)
Glossy red - S/M
852145003633 and 852145003657

Glossy red - M/L
852145003602 and 852145003619

Matte black - S/M
852145003626 and 852145003640

Matte black - M/L
852145003589 and 852145003596

Trident
Black Rasta - M/L

Black with pinstripe - S/M

Black with pinstripe - M/L

Blue/Carbon - S/M

Blue/Carbon - M/L

Green/Army green - S/M

Green/Army green - M/L

Green/Carbon - S/M

Green/Carbon - M/L

Red/Burnt red - S/M

Red/Burnt red - M/L

Incidents/Injuries

WRSI is aware of 10 incidents of chinstrap failures. No injuries have been reported.

Remedy

Consumers should stop using the helmets immediately and contact WRSI for a free replacement or full refund.

Sold at

Northwest River Supplies and sporting goods stores nationwide and online at http://www.whitewaterhelmet.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from March 2012 through November 2012 for between $140 and $170.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

I emailed them last night, and this morning Nick emailed me back asking for my address, to ship me a new replacement for my Trident. As easy as that!!
Cheers
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Just to clarify, there was a comment earlier in this thread that indicated that there were ten 'injuries' due to helmet buckle malfunctions. Thats not correct, its 'incidents'. I've tested every WRSI helmet I personally own and have in stock and not a single one had a faulty buckle. WRSI is leading the pack in taking proactive steps to ensure the safest possible product, if you know the history of the company then you'll understand their commitment to that goal.

As a side note, due take care if you use the velcro chin pad. I've seen people keeping it slid down over the female buckle when trying to insert the male end and sometimes the pad is slid so far off the female side that it prevents the male side from inserting fully. I don't feel that the strap pad is needed and usually remove them.
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

wow,
just saw this and called them. no questions asked, they are sending me a new helmet. THAT is customer service! oh, and by the way, my trident helmet is the best fitting helmet i have ever owned!
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

Smurfwarrior wrote:Just to clarify, there was a comment earlier in this thread that indicated that there were ten 'injuries' due to helmet buckle malfunctions. Thats not correct, its 'incidents'.
Sorry - my mistake, I misread the notice.

Smurfwarrior is correct - no injuries have been reported, only incidents of the buckle coming open.

-DJ
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I had a Moment and had the buckle issue, mine came unclipped whilst having a particularly bad swim on the Lower Big Sandy, and has unclipped here and there a few other times. The fact that it was a full face kept it on my head, if it wasn't a full face the lid would have probably come off

They're sending me a replacement after a couple of emails back and forth so I'll give it another chance but not before testing mine a bit before I use it, the fact that it unclipped when I really didn't want it to wasn't cool
Chris Loomis
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

I just bought a Moment helmet. Is there a way to tell whether it's from the bad batch?
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

It's probably good to go but give the buckle a firm tug. If it pops open, that transcends warranty, you don't want to be wearing something that is going to fail.

WRSI finally replaced my helmet after a couple months of back and forth. Hopefully this one works out
Chris Loomis
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

Thanks. Mine feels pretty solid.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Check it against the numbers identified in Kneel's repost of the recall notice above? That would be my first port of call...
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

derp. Thanks.