another rolling question...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

another rolling question...

Post by truckeeboater »

So i was at the pool tonite, messing around in my Option (thanks again for your help, edg!) and found on a few occasions while initiating my roll to my off-side that the boat just kinda stalled out. usually when i drop the offside gunwale into the water, the boat will just continue to roll towards the onside and all i have to do is be patient. there were a few times tonite where all the patience in the world wouldn't have helped me. has anyone else had this happen? how do you get closer to the surface without really whipping the boat down into the water to begin with? Thanks!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
dwinchester
Pain Boater

Re: another rolling question...

Post by dwinchester »

I'm assuming that when you say you stalled out that you reached the upside down position and stopped there. Is that right? When rolling my CU Fly in the pool I have the same issue. If I don't have a lot of momentum the boat will come to rest upside down instead of on its side. This makes the roll harder since you have a lot more distance to cover with your hip snap to get back to right side up. 180* instead of 90*. To overcome this I took a play out of the kayakers book since they have the same problem at times. When I get set for the roll, Instead of taking the paddle blade out of the water as I swing my paddle/body out to 90 degrees, I leave the blade in the water but close to the surface next to my bow. I then give the blade a "climbing angle" as I sweep out to the side. This acts as a sculling stroke and pulls the canoe closer to the surface and starts to initiate the roll as you set up and saves your hip snap for that last 90 degrees. I hope this makes sense. Also, I'm pretty new to the OC roll so if I'm way off base here, someone please let me know!
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

you were exactly right in your interpretation of my dilemma. your potential solution (the use of a climbing angle of the blade at set-up) could prove quite helpful- as long as I can remember which way is up :D ! As i think about the movements, i feel that this would then require me to flip the blade mid roll to finish while using the back-face i.e. low brace. Is this consistent with your experience? Thanks for your input! And please keep them coming :wink:
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

You generally end up flipping your blade at some point while underwater, but it doesn't matter if you do it before or after you use the climbing angle. I also agree with your quandary of "which way is up?" I think that is why, once I learned to back-deck roll, I found it more effective for me. I naturally have a climbing angle on the blade while getting out to 90 degrees, and I have a much easier time of knowing where I am in space.

Shep