Octane 85

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Waldemar
c

Re: Octane 85

Post by Waldemar »

bushpaddler wrote:Owning a OCtane92, this is my opinion of what it looks like (and it's really close). The design is more than 100 years old, usually made of steel and enamel:

Flo
Is that a pump in the stern?? :D

Cornelia
Cornelia
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

The sprouting legs are making me think that canoes are evolving and soon will be land vehicles.
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Post by solo_konoe »

As the proud owner of a fugly 91, I have to do a double-take every time a car with a Thule cargo box passes to make sure it's not an Octane. She's full-figured, but one fine ride!
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I put together this video paddling the Octane 85 prototype on the Tellico River:

https://vimeo.com/63506999
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

markzak wrote:I put together this video paddling the Octane 85 prototype . . .
Thanks for posting this -- I quite enjoyed watching the 85 in action.

Fugly is as fugly does. Looked good enough to me as it bounced around in the video.

The more information the better -- still looking for a coupla points that haven't been nailed in previous posts (and, yes, I understand this was a prototype, and not the final production model. . .)

How's the 85 roll, compared to, say, the Option or the L'Edge?

How was the weight of the prototype -- story on the block is that the production boat will be of lighter construction than the Option?

Thanks
Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Pierre LaPaddelle wrote: How's the 85 roll, compared to, say, the Option or the L'Edge?

How was the weight of the prototype -- story on the block is that the production boat will be of lighter construction than the Option?

Thanks
Rick

I don't think I flipped in the prototype, so I'm not sure can answer the first question.

I'm planning on making the boat a bit lighter than the option, similar to the Ion. I haven't weighed the prototype.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com