Very sorry to hear this news from yesterday at ALF

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Very sorry to hear this news from yesterday at ALF

Post by Sir Adam »

For folks who wish to leave a few words, or send a donation:

http://www.hendrenfuneralhome.com/book- ... etails.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep the C!
Adam
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

We GDI Mourn and respect his passing and Take a Knee in his Honor :cry:
God Speed Dr. Senior !
Attachments
GDIbannermemorial.jpg
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

For those of you looking for specific info on this terrible accident, this was written in a comment from one of the articles linked in one of the above posts. It is exactly as it happened.

"My son is one of the canoeists that was with Dr. Senior on the Little River, and I was present on the riverbank shorly after the rescue effort started. Dr. Senior came out of his boat on the first drop above the sinks rapid. He went over the second drop and became trapped by the rocks in the hole at the base of the drop. An expert, determined, and sustained rescue effort was mounted. After dispatching someone to drive into cell coverage to call 911, the canoeists, many trained in swift water rescue, began “live bait” attempts. Rescuers tethered by a line jumped into the hydraulic at the base of the drop in and attempted to free the doctor. He was held hard by the rocks, and several rescurers were washed back by the swift current before they could pull Steve free. A three line harness was rigged and rescures, held in the hydraulic, fought to exsustion to pull Steve free. As one man tired he was replace by another to continue the effort. When the local rescue squad arrived on the scene they, by protocal, demanded the recuers get out of the water. The rescuers refused and continued their fight. The local rescue squad quickly reconized the skill set of the rescuers and did not make any other desist demands as the moved to take over. One of the canoiest rescuers was able to get a line on Steve and he was pulled free. CPR was started by the rescuers and continued until the local rescue team could make their way to the riverside. CPR was continued as Steve was placed on a litter and carried to a waiting ambulance. The effort by the canoeists was extraordinary, determined and valiant, I do not call it heroic because it is what they expect of each other. They practice a dangerous sport, but they are skilled, and rely on each other. Each man on the rescue team gave their all. The entire “River Family” here in Tennessee shares your loss. "

Rest in peace Steve.
Roger
C Guru

Post by Roger »

Things happen despite the best efforts to avoid them. To those involved in the rescue attempt and those on the trip, there are many thinking of you.