new video on shuttles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

pmp
CBoats Addict

new video on shuttles

Post by pmp »

The hardest part about ALF is getting to the river... so study this guide to shuttles:)
http://youtu.be/wCgt5FnkY0Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
see you on the road hitchhikin'
paul

oh, don't forget only two days left to order your ALF shirt from Bob britt
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
canotrouge
C Guru

Re: new video on shuttles

Post by canotrouge »

the keys are under THE rock she said.... After running back 10km to the put in to retrieve the car, and having gizilions mosquitos happy to see me, I look down to find the rock... The truck was parked in quarry.... I was really happy!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Was it under here?

C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

Kneal --

you should post your lost key Lower Gauley horror story

In fact, you sould do up a movie like Mason.

"The Drama, The Fear, The Pain, The Expense!"

Big Al
Jim
C Guru

Post by Jim »

That is great- it reminded my of many adventures, some of which should never have been adventures, but our incompetence with keys and/or shuttles turned a routine trip into an adventure.
Jim
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

KNeal - If you do write it up... remember to add in the drunks on quads screaming obscenities, The drunks on quads fleeing at the site of the Rangers, how to find ranger in 10000 acres of forest 101, the rangers, the DWI check point, the cops, the fest and of course all the hopelessness, the darkness, the mental scaring of fragile youth, the mental scaring of adults, Not Elvis to the rescue, the costs, pain..and loathing!

Not that there is much to the story!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Big Al, I swear this is where I put the key down

What PAC said about happy-brained locals driving ATV's and starting bonfires as night fell and Jim Norton (I think it was him) commenting about how they might also have dynamite is what I remember best about that particular evening. Also, having the 18-wheeler skid past "Not Elvis" and me at a stoplight then seeing the skidmarks started behind us in our lane. :o

But this post is not about me now is it?
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Good video. You covered the major screw-ups including the classic key snafus, paddling past the take-out, and parking the shuttle vehicles on the wrong creek, all of which have happened to me (the key thing at least a dozen times).

Another fubar I have experienced with some frequency is someone not showing up at the right time due to failure to account for a time zone change (happens with some frequency down in the Walden's Ridge area near the border between CST and EST). Also, when shuttling in a caravan that includes paddlers unfamiliar with the route to the put-in (or take-out), drivers not checking their rear view mirrors to be sure that a driver or drivers do not get dropped.

On one occasion a driver hid their keys in a partially rotted out tree stump at the take out and by the time they got down, a large copperhead had taken up residence in it.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

Kneal,

You'll also have to include some of the Mother Theresa kind of stuff -- like PAC's sticking with you through it all (while the rest of went to party).

What a Samaritan, yes?

Big Al
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Yes, PAC was a HUGE help that night--more like family than samaritan. He really stepped up and helped me out. I'm sure his "happy-state-of-mind" made his participation even easier for him, except when we got to talking with the cop at the check point. Jay went way beyond helping by running me around Saturday looking for a tow truck, driving back out to find my truck intact and drove me out to Beckley (it was during that drive the 18-wheeler slid past us) and finally dropped me off at a motel for the rest of my stay. I still am convinced I heard him screaming at the top of his lungs as he drove off.

At some point, Al, I'll get around to fixing that dent in the roof of my truck that your "WOOZ" made when you dropped it on the roof rack.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (2).jpg
C-boats Moderator

Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

Kneal,

I've got a bunch self-inflicted ones on my suv. I don't recall doing that to yours , as well. Sorry, dude.

Big Al
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Big Al wrote:Sorry, dude.

Big Al
Big Al. Life is good and you know that. We don't apologize around here, we get together and drink beer and boat when we're not drinking. I just hope I can squeeze in that spring armada this year.

I think I miss you.

:D
C-boats Moderator

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

You two need to get a room....

Al has his story too.... "luckest man alive!" at least during Gauley Fest weekend! Praise be to Not Elvis on that one too!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

So you are all saying Not Elvis is the man you want along on your trips eh! :)