Wenonah RECON ?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

YTcanoe
C Guru

Wenonah RECON ?

Post by YTcanoe »

Has anyone paddled one? Looking for reviews and opinions.

I'd like a boat in the 12 to 13' range to use for teaching and tripping in mid to big volume water, as well as "flatter water, easy days" where my short boats seem slow. I'm about 200lb geared up and would expect to be carrying 10 to 80 lbs.

I did paddle one very briefly last year, but did not take a serious look at it. All I remember thinking is - A) this thing is huge (had been recently paddling <9 footers, and the Recon saddle was quite rearward) and B) I can't tell much with the disappointing factory outfitting. Unfortunately, I will not have another opportunity to view one prior to ordering. I would be ordering a bare hull.

I've spent time in an Outrage X. A solid boat, but just a little dull in performance. I think the RECON is less round and harder chined under the cockpit. Maybe a sharper/snappier handler? The Recon was dry, having incredible bow bouyancy/volume, likely slower. Sure wish I could compare the two side by side.

Any input?
yarnellboat
C Maven

Re: Wenonah RECON ?

Post by yarnellboat »

Perhaps not what you're looking for, but my input, for what it's worth considering I haven't paddled a Recon, is this: Outrage (...or even Rival; ...or for more ww edge, Viper 12).

For a bigger, more stable boat that tracks well and is good for tripping and teaching, there's already lots of old boats out there (Genesis, H2Pro), and even newer "Impulses", like the Vertige, or try the Blast, so I don't think the Recon adds much to this already crowded niche. People could also suggest the Nitro, Prodigy X, or Probes.

If you thought the Outrage X felt too big, go with the Outrage. It's a respected ww hull that carries weight and speed well.

Call me cheap, but I wouldn't purchase a new boat for this purpose when there's a number of used boats I could consider! The only thing going for the Recon is the curiosity factor of trying a new boat, but I'm just not that curious about that type of boat!

Pat.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I too got to paddle a Recon briefly during a class when a student brought one. Unfortunately, I was, like you, coming from paddling a 9-footes, my Prelude. Naturally, the Recon felt huge and barge-like in comparison. I also felt that I wasn't enough weight (165 pounds) for the boat. I wondered if I might like it better loaded with 80 pounds of gear in it to help sink the boat down a little more in the water. Empty, I felt the Recon wasn't as responsive or as likeable as my Genesis--the boat I use for solo tripping.

A brief trial (15 minutes) doesn't do a boat justice though, so don't put much stock into what I say here. It may be you just need to buy one, give it a good try, and if you end up not liking it, sell it to someone else.

Other boats I'd look at are the Esquif Raven and maybe even a Vertige.

Out here in Oregon, I've bought a number of boats without trying them first, basing my decision on their specs and design (as depicted in photos) and people's reviews (paddling.net is good for that but I don't see any on the Recon). Most of the time, I've been right and liked the canoe. When I've been wrong, I've sold the boat.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

Saw a Recon early last summer. From what I saw, I reckon that the Outrage X would be the sportier of the two. For me the Recon would be a contender for a tripping boat where carrying 80 lbs of gear is part of the deal (I don't feel my Outrage as capacity for this plus my 220 lb heft). I have a Vertige as a tripping boat. It hauls lots of beer I mean gear great but empty it's a pretty boring ride. Outside of tripping it stays on the racks. Unless you want a real cruiser I think this would be a pretty bland ride outside of a tripping application. Consider a Viper 12?
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

Still hoping for more advice/info.

I've paddled Viper 12's and really liked them, but never with a load. I felt it might not be too friendly if weighed down, maybe too edgy.
The Vertige looks too round and tame.
The Blast could be a possibility. Could be pretty slow with all it's rocker and big blunt ends.
I liked the Outrage X. It didn't seem too big, I just wished for some edge, for a little snappier performance.
The Recon seems like it might have harder chines. I never took a close enough look to confirm.

Doug B - What gave you the impression that the Outrage X would be sportier than the Recon?

Can anyone comment on paddling a Viper 12 with a load/tripping?
A Blast solo? (with load)
Anymore Recon reviews or insight?

I'm about 200 lb geared, and would like about 80 lb gear capacity. Hoping for good bigwater performance and a bit of speed for the flats. Ideally still sporty enough to have some fun on easier water and maybe do some teaching from. I usually paddle an Option, Prelude, or Viper and a bagged out Freedom Solo for tripping and big (non technical) water? Looking for something between the Viper11 and Freedom Solo. Currently leaning towards the Recon or Outrage X.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Hmm, I'm silently dreaming of such a canoe as well, suited for tripping and some fun on easier whitewater.

The Wenonah RendezVous is probably too tame for you, but a very pleasant boat! But main purpose there is tripping, not whitewater.

I get the point of the Viper12, and I'd like to add I'm a bit afraid it would take up too much water when loaded. But I think the XL13 might be worth a thought. A bit more of a classic design, still kind of sporty and suited to load. I haven't paddled one, but I think it could be worth a try.

Btw, I think the Vertige is more fun solo then a Blast. I have been surprised of what a vertige can do in the right hands. A blast is a bit longer and definetly harder to accelerate. It's a brilliant tandem canoe, but I think a lot less fun when paddled solo. But that's my thought of course.
clarion
C Guru

Post by clarion »

Have you considered a Millbrook ME? I know it's 15' but at your load it's still fun, and fast.
It AIN'T bent.
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

I know of a cheep Outrage X you could try on a week end trip with all your gear....
Cheers
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

XL 13? Meh. Heavy and bargelike. The Probe 13, on the other hand, is underrated - sportier than the XLs, more friendly with a load than a Viper...

+1 on the ME - I loved it as an OC-1 and an OC-1.5 (me + kid). Spins like a shorter boat, goes fast like the long boat it is.
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

Unfortuneately, I'm no where near a canoe shop. I'm buying blind and options are a bit limited. Southern composites like Millbrooks aren't options.

The Probes look possible. Would a 12' be feasible? Or look 13'? Any comments on Mohawks factory outfitting?
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

It really depends on the factory outfitting you would like We offer the Single thigh retainer and the double and we also off the extreme outfitting and a bulhead The single and double retainers are great for what they are designed to do. But if you are looking for the best option it would be the extreme or the bulkhead. This is just my opinion
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker