A twelve-step program -- then RECOVERY !!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

A twelve-step program -- then RECOVERY !!

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

It took over two years of reading reviews, and saving nickels and dimes. . .

And then it was eleven months of sleepless nights, searching my soul, and steeling my resolve. . .

And then it took only 20 minutes to saber-saw the deck off a new, pristine and virginal L'Edge.

The doubts, the fears, the guilt, the loss, the grief, the tears. . .

Is there, perhaps, a support group I might join. . .
Last edited by Pierre LaPaddelle on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: A twelve-step program, perhaps. . . ?

Post by Craig Smerda »

:lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Great way to get some poly sheet.
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

JD
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I don't know, next time consider getting the L'edge that is open with wood gunnels?

Might it have saved some time and doubt...
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
watermonkey
C Boater

Post by watermonkey »

Cboats, the cause of, and solution to, all your CBoating problems. Where else are you going to get advice and encouragement to drop seious coin on an amazing new boat but that simultaneously your new boat is woefully inadequate and must go under the knife for endless modifications? My wife was not so much concerned about the boat purchase, but that I immediately began to hack it apart and change virtually everything on a brand new Force. Gotta love it :wink:.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I have been thrilled with the results of cutting the top off of mine.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Todhunter wrote:I have been thrilled with the results of cutting the top off of mine.
OMG -- you mean it was the top I was supposed to cut off. . . ? :(
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Mr Marc
Pain Boater

Post by Mr Marc »

Do not throw the top you cut off in the garbages, you will need it to make plastic rods in order to weld cracks on the bottom of your boat! lol
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Re: A twelve-step program, . . THEN -- Recovery!!!

Pierre LaPaddelle wrote: . . . it took only 20 minutes to saber-saw the deck off a new, pristine and virginal L'Edge. The doubts, the fears, the guilt, the loss, the grief, the tears. . .
Unfortunately, it took seven weeks to do the rest -- gunn'ls, sanding, varnishing, tweaks, tie-downs, trim the foam. . . (See previous post about procrastination.) :-?

But it's done! Took it out on some bouncy II+ / III- yesterday. Paddled it hard right off the bat. Stuffed it into every squirrely feature I could find.

I love it! Quick to accelerate, surfs effortlessly, slides over the screwy currents, bounces over waves and through holes.

This is old hat for easterners, but MY thanks and congratulations to Craig for a great design. And thanks to Smurf for giving me my first L'Edge test-paddle. (How long ago was that???) :D

Now just gotta do some weight training so I can carry the thing!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
roscoe
c

Re: A twelve-step program -- then RECOVERY !!

Post by roscoe »

Rick,
Welcome to the club. I bought my L'Edge, took the lids off pronto. And have never looked back.
Lovin it.
Ross
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

Congrats to your boat, always the innovator, are you not. Have fun & turn that sleepy west coast around to join the short boat revolution.. meaning boats under 11 feet long :D
:D
roscoe
c

Post by roscoe »

Jan,
You know the West Coast boaters as a whole are slow to move onto the newer designs. But now with Rick joining the plastic crew, that makes a total of 4 new boats 2 of which stay at my house.
WooWhoo
Ross
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

Well I consider myself a west coast boater, having spent my boating adolescence there - first own sea kayak, first ever roll, first whitewater paddling (open boats only ;D) and such.. so although I'm really not there, that would make 3 more new designs for myself and 2 for Cordula.. (we got a Big Dog Force, an Option for me and a Prelude for her now :).

Whish I could take them with us to the West Coast and run some crazy large steaming pile of dog doo with you guys... too bad the Airline changed the rules now! :(
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Roscoe why do you think that is? There is so much great paddling around Vancouver. You seem to be the main one down there pushing things in an open boat. There from a far seems to bit of a lull after Tyler Elm left Van. I paddled down there lots 92-94 and need to get back. Now that I have a Spanish Fly sitting in Vancouver i better return soon.

I have a friend Ray think he just moved to Pemberton that has a L'edge. He is just getting into things but is not afraid to push his limits and he is young and strong.

How many L'edges and plastic are there in the Vancouver region? as I debating bringing the SF north or leaving it down there.

You should make a trip north
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.