Trip Report on my week in Costa Rica with Esprit

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Trip Report on my week in Costa Rica with Esprit

Post by 2opnboat1 »

It had been two and a half years sense I had taken more than a day or two off. The last time I had multiple days off in a row was when my granddad passed and Jack was born in a 8 day period. I had reached my breaking point, it was no longer fun. I was ready to walk away. Then Jim Coffey, at Esprit, emailed me and invited me down to play with him and his guys in Costa Rica. This could not have ame at a better time I was craving a break and to get some boating in with one of my oldest friends. I knew Jim through the 2012 Tellico Plains tornado releif efforts. Jim donated a trip to go down to the warmth and do some boating with the proceeds going to the releif fund. Very cool for a man that is from Canada, that does not go to Tellico. The day we arrived in Costa Rica I knew I was in for a great trip. It is not often that all three canoe companies are in one place and not trying to sale boats. Jeremy W Laucks, (BlackFly Canoes) Eli Helbert, (esquif Canoes) and myself all going to be in one place and not on the clock. I was impressed with the care to detail that Jim, Barbra, Martin, and Lalo put into everyday of their trips. Waking to Howler monkeys,and the sounds of the rain forest everyday is good for the soul. After a very good brakfest it wa off to do some boating. We ran everything to steep creeks high in the mountains to big water down in a valley. THe boating was great, but the general attitudes of the staff and everyone we came into contact with where really the high lite of the trip. Every meal and place we stayed was top notch. My only complaint was that the trip was too short. This was the second time that someone in the boating world had save me from self destrution, and for this I will always be greatfull to Jim. I will go back, and next year I am planning to take Jack and Stephanie. I would never dream of taking the family to any half flower butted operation and Esprit is diff. not half flower butted.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Trip Report on my week in Costa Rica with Esprit

Post by adamin »

Gotta love our word filters, eh?
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Holy cow, an American used the word "eh" correctly!

Seriously though. Esprit is an amazing company. I would love to hit one of their southern trips.
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

2opnboat1 wrote:.....We ran everything to steep creeks high in the mountains to big water down in a valley. THe boating was great, but the general attitudes of the staff and everyone we came into contact with where really the high lite of the trip. Every meal and place we stayed was top notch. My only complaint was that the trip was too short. This was the second time that someone in the boating world had save me from self destrution, and for this I will always be greatfull to Jim. I will go back, and next year I am planning to take Jack and Stephanie. I would never dream of taking the family to any half flower butted operation and Esprit is diff. not half flower butted.
We also had a great trip with Esprit in Costa Rica, and from what I've heard, there's something there for everyone. Go in the rainy season for hucking off of waterfalls like the Pozo Azul or go later in the season for great warm water and the joy of staying overnight on the Pacuare jungle camp. Jim, Barbara, Martin and Lalo work hard to give you a great trip that matches your abilities, and for the non-paddling partner there is so much to do there. We'll go again, but next time add on a few non-paddling days to do some rain forest hikes, plantation tours and other eco-tourist stuff. The boat selection is modern and diverse. An excellent trip. The only downside is this has burned our vacation time preventing us from going to ALF.