How do you set up for a roll?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dwinchester
Pain Boater

How do you set up for a roll?

Post by dwinchester »

So after watching lots of youtube videos it seems like oc rolls fall into two major categories as far as set up is concerned. (I've seen video of some pretty funky looking sweep rolls too but these two seem to be the most common)
1- face down, looking at the bottom of the river, pool, etc (as in Bob Foote's video).
2- facing forward (as in the Sweet Skills tutorial). This set-up looks more like a the beginning of a kayaker's C to C roll.

I've only rolled using the face down set-up and was curious to hear other's thoughts. What roll to you use? Pros? Cons?.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Re: How do you set up for a roll?

Post by ian123 »

Face down when I think about it. I don't often use a specific set up- just get the paddle blade near the surface and roll it.
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

There isn't much difference between the Bob Foot's roll and the Sweet Skillz roll. Bob Foot uses a bigger and longer type of canoe which does not turtle perfectly when upside down, meaning it is slightly angled to either on side or the other. So right off the bat, the boat is slightly out of the water at an angle which permits him (Bob) to break down the movements and basically stall in the low brace position before rolling up. Boats like the L'Edge tend to turtle, so to do the roll correctly you must do all the motions in one shot. I don't know if what I'm saying makes much sense but just look at the image breakdown of the Sweet Skillz roll and you will notice that he does in fact face down when he does the roll. He starts sort of facing forward, close to the surface, sweeps to 90 degrees and then rotates his upper body face down and low brace himself up. Anyway, that's how I do my roll for what it's worth.

Cheers
Attachments
OC1-ROLL.jpg
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Agree with leclercraven. If you watch some of Philip Prince's youtube videos, he separates the forward, facing-the-airbag position from the 90-degree, facing the bottom position, and stalls there to demonstrate doing the first half of the roll with your knees while your body is close to the surface. I am still working out the right speeds and timing on all of these details, and trying to get more consistent rolling in rougher water, but it is not mutually exclusive with a fast, fluid roll.

Shep
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

My daughter filmed me doing a few rolls last summer. Here's a quick edit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ZTJ4pa ... e=youtu.be
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Facing forward, even turning your head forward, during the rolling phase is a sure-fire way to kill your roll!

Always get square to the bottom - face down. In fact, that's probably the one thing that what people are calling various "types of rolls" all have in common.

P.
Last edited by yarnellboat on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keez
C Guru

Post by keez »

I usually start by flipping over;
then proceed to all the good points brought forward by others herein.
dwinchester
Pain Boater

Post by dwinchester »

Ah yes. I've nearly perfected that first crucial step!
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

dwinchester, if that dam brace gets in the way of a good roll just chuck the paddle away. :lol:
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

This is an oft-repeated thread, but I'm always glad to hear fresh opinions.

leclercraven looks very smooth with his roll -- thanks for sharing the video.

I'm no expert, but I've begun to have moderate success rolling the Bulldog in the pool lately, and I might toss out one little tweak, which has been working for me.
I break the roll into two distinct steps, and as long as I keep the steps separate and sequential, the roll seems to come easier:

From the set up, FIRST the hip-snap, THEN, a half-second later, finish up with some arm sweep, bringing the head across.

If I try to rush, and do both steps at the same time, it doesn't work. Maybe this is obvious to some, but isn't always stated.

(FWIW.)

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

I went to my second pool session yesterday night and I have tried the Tommy Hagg/Craig Smerda type of roll with the power face down. Well all I can say is that after a half hour of doing the traditional "Bob Foote" and then the other, I have found that the later roll with the knuckles up push up style was quite effective. It gives you lots of bite with the brace! During the last half hour of pool, I would instinctively use the this roll instead of the traditional one. Anyway, I'll try to get someone to film me doing both type of rolls under water next week and I'll post it here for reviews and comments. Cheers!