So I have this Viper...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Silent Bob
C Guru

So I have this Viper...

Post by Silent Bob »

About 75% ok, the other 25% needs a little work:

Big hole in the stern, cracks about 2 feet long, chines a little buggered up. But the price was right :D
The plan is for it to end up as a tandem.

Total budget for the project: about $50, give or take a bit. As I am nothing, if not cheap. Bags, saddle, other outfitting recycled from another boat in the fleet. So really the only expense is in repair material.

I'm attempting to do the largest part of this with ABS/acetone goo. Again, cheap. We're not on a Gflex and Kevlar budget here. The other theory I have is that being an constructed of ABS, It makes sense to use a like material to repair it.

Anyway, step one: Attack it with power tools.

The destructive implement of choice here is a Rotozip with a V-groove bit for the cracks, and a spiral bit for removing big chunks of delaminated abs.

Cracks drilled at the ends and grooved out:

Delaminated chunks removed:

Chine filled in with several coats of goo:

More to come in a bit, My Bow man wants to play "Go Fish" :lol:
thomsonbytheriver
Pain Boater

Re: So I have this Viper...

Post by thomsonbytheriver »

That's hardcore. Is it a Viper 11 or 12? I miss my 11- great boat. I have a Probe 12 now which is great for taking little kids out for surf rides.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

mmm! do i smell adhesives? :oops:
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

My advice, to add a bit of structure, is to mix some of the 'goo' so that it is very runny, and use it to lay 2-3 layers of S-glass. The ABS/solvent mixture does a very good job of wetting out the fabric, adds structure, and reduces the weight of the patch.

I did a Probe 14 this way, chine to chine, for the length of the triple saddle, and a friend rehabbed the chines on an Ocoee similarly with very good results.
FURZTROCKEN!
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

x 2 the goo needs to stick to something, it won't span a void
BobH
C Boater

Post by BobH »

I'm glad to see my old garden bench is getting some much needed medical attention. Good luck!!
Silent Bob
C Guru

Viper 12 rehab, part 2

Post by Silent Bob »

Thanks again Bob, It really wasn't as bad as I imagined. I was sort of expecting something like the Gnarls' Detonator...

Anyway,
Several coats of goo and a wicked acetone induced headache later, the damaged bits in the chine are filled in. As are the cracks in the stern. Time to work on the big hole:

Hole trimmed out, a little duct tape to back it up temporarily, and a patch cut from a sheet of ABS for filler. The silver thing to the right is a panel clamp I used to align the sides of the crack while it was being filled in.

Patch set in place, slightly below the surface.

Everything stuck in place with goo. Have to add a couple more coats to even it out.

All of this is mostly filler, just to get things stuck back in shape. Next I'll work on adding some glass to reinforce the repairs. Although, even without glass it feels quite solid.
BobH
C Boater

Post by BobH »

What is the copper colored stuff to the left of the clamp?
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

Just a reflection from the camera flash.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Now bob don't go dissin' the Gnarlz canoe. You have complete holes going on there. :D
after the Gnarlz canoe got rebuilt she took runs on the green narrows and oceana...we all look forward to that new tandem being the second to descend Gorilla & Sunshine on the Green.
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

This is very inspiring. I would like some advice on making abs goo...I have tried mixing acetone with flakes, chips and small bits of ABS and I have ever gotten was a big black lump! What's the secret to well-mixed goo?
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

To make the ABS goo; 1, cut up some abs plastic small enough to fit in a glass jar (I use ~10oz jelly/pickle jar)
2, add acetone to cover ABS bits, close jar tightly (I cover jar with aluminum foil first to help with seal)
3, let sit overnite, then stir it,let sit overnite again adding more acetone or abs if needed
4, stir again apply like paste or paint, with a popsicle stick or small 1" brush depending on what you are using it for
5, let dry thoroughly before adding another coat
you can use abs pipe (very cheap) or Legos to color match your boat (expensive, but looks nicer)
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

Creeker wrote:Now bob don't go dissin' the Gnarlz canoe. You have complete holes going on there. :D
after the Gnarlz canoe got rebuilt she took runs on the green narrows and oceana...we all look forward to that new tandem being the second to descend Gorilla & Sunshine on the Green.

Tommy's boat was an inspiration to me... :lol:

Anyway, got a bit of glass applied last night before I ran out of acetone. Very different than working with epoxy. I found that you pretty much have to work on a 3"x3" area at a time as it sets up almost immediately. Not necessarily more difficult, just a different pace.

I did run into the first problem with this experiment: I was a little impatient and tried to fill too big a gap too quickly. I wound up with a soft spot in the hull. Hopefully if I leave it alone for a bit it will set up again.

Off to the cellar to brew up another batch!