KNeals / NBoP / CBoats Armada... whatever you call it...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Where do we boat this year for the armada? We'll figure out "when" later...

1) Back to the North Branch of the Potomac / Savage!
7%
2) Cheat Narrows or Canyon (another rave this year?!)
43%
3) Slippery Rock
14%
4) Back to our roots - Potomac around DC
No votes
5) Stoney Creek and related watershed
29%
6) ? (put your idea in the text, I'll edit the poll if I can)
7%

Total votes: 14

arhdc
CBoats Addict

Re: KNeals / NBoP / CBoats Armada... whatever you call it...

Post by arhdc »

I'm not as knowledgeable as most of y'all on some of this stuff (PAC is the expert) but the Slip, wile good in many respects has a couple of drawbacks that I can see right off the bat. I am not opposing the Slip, I just want to make sure that those who are not familiar with it have a heads up.

1. It's not a large waterway. IF we have a good large turnout it's gonna be crowded on the Slip if we are wanting to run as a large group. I see the turnout that we had last year requiring breaking into 2-3 smaller groups, similar in size to what we had going on last year.

2. The Upper Slip is easy enough to be a good run for almost anyone that I can see wanting to come out for the Armada, the Lower Slip is scenic but really not anything to write home about for almost any WW boater.

3. There is not nearly the opportunity for running other rivers close by that there is with the Cheat, Yough, or NBoP. If anyone is wanting to get out on other rivers it will require driving significant distances.

The Slip is a fun creek and a great one to get out on but it is popular mainly because of it's proximity to Pittsburgh and the lack of other runs so near to Pittsburgh. Truly from my perspective I would vote for Stoneycreek River in Johnstown before the Slip. If there is water there are a LOT of runs close by ranging from Class II-V and it's much closer to the Cheat, Yough, and NBoP if anyone is wanting to head down that way.
Last edited by arhdc on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Its the Cheat or nothing man! I'd like to do the canyon one day and then the narrows the next....the castleman is an easier run that I've been meaning to get on too. Outside chance I'd stick to the narrows 2+ (walk the III) if Katelyn comes.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Added Stoney Watershed...

Regardless of where the Aramda ends up the total group will break up in to sub groups. Its nice to get together for lunch on the river but the total count makes that hard to do. Just a thought.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

Allow me to muddy the waters further... How about the New River Gorge area?:

something different
Good camping
Good food
Scads of stuff to run from II-V+ within a 1hr radius.
Dependable water
New & Gauley tolerate large groups pretty well
easier shuttle than the Cheat.

Just another one to consider.

Of the other options, I'd vote Cheat or NBP
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Interesting. I looked at this thread yesterday and there were a number of votes for the Slippery Rock Creek, all of which have now "disappeared". Who is tampering with the poll results and why?
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

When PAC added the Stoney it erased all the previous voting - so if you voted before, you can cast your vote again.

Not intentional, and clearly a problem with the polling feature!
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Yep - my bad! Didn't realize the count would be cleared. The Cheat was way ahead of any other choice.

The nice thing about the Slip is we'll be there in early June no matter via Slip clinic.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Slippery Rock sounds fun... but so does the Stoney.

I'm up for a different river this time, as I can't travel down that way twice this year.
Keep the C!
Adam
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

We're not all big water boaters, so someplace that has something for most skill levels would be cool. Slippery Rock has camping but as has been said, the river would be crowded (I cut my teeth there so I love the place). Stoney has that little play park thingie doesn't it? Good for cquirt? How about this to muddy the water - camp at Paddlers Lane in Confluence. Got the Lower Yough handy and the Savage and Upper Yough within driving distance.

Heck. I just want to paddle with you guys (well most of you). Just tell me where and when.
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

PAC wrote:Yep - my bad! Didn't realize the count would be cleared. The Cheat was way ahead of any other choice.

The nice thing about the Slip is we'll be there in early June no matter via Slip clinic.
Cline, you nefarious miscreant. I suspected you all along!

Actually, depending on when this event is held, the Slippery Rock might be too low, no?
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Ah, that is the beauty of it this year - though we are sticking to "spring", since we're not beholden to the NBranch of the Potomac April to June schedule we can choose the location FIRST, then figure out the best time of year for the area and set a few weekends up for the next poll to see when most folks might make it.
Keep the C!
Adam
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

I'm not an expert on the Stony watershed by any means, but I've paddled it a few times. The Canyon section is class 3 - probably comparable to LY in difficulty, but with tons of play features. Then there's a section from the canyon takeout to the Stony Fest site/play park that is class 2, decreasing in difficulty from beginning to end. Haven't run the various tributaries. It's rain dependent. The canyon can range from miserably bony, technical class 3- to big water class 4+ at high levels. The dam is capable of releases, but I don't think they do any in the spring.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Stoneycreek is probably the best river just for the Armada's sake, it has some pretty amazing play features. But unless you get enough rain for the Paint and Shade to run, you're pretty much stuck on the Stoney. Cheat has a lot of options, but the Canyon is a long and potentially hard day.

If you end up in Ohiopyle, don't stay at Paddler's Lane, go to Logan and Grant street and camp in the grass. Then when an angry man accosts you in the morning, tell him Cheeks sent you, and that you are here for Mr. TGrips Dirty Hippie Jamboree

[Disclaimer] Don't actually do that, if Joel is in a bad mood he's liable to shoot you
Chris Loomis
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Cheeks posted....
If you end up in Ohiopyle, don't stay at Paddler's Lane, go to Logan and Grant street and camp in the grass. Then when an angry man accosts you in the morning, tell him Cheeks sent you, and that you are here for Mr. TGrips Dirty Hippie Jamboree

[Disclaimer] Don't actually do that, if Joel is in a bad mood he's liable to shoot you
Actually Mr. Means (yep that his name) WILL shoot ya! Since being in a good mood aint in his nature when it comes to his company! :lol: Mick got away alive because he is a buffed Cquirtist and has a dazzling smile! Unlike the rest of us rif-raft! Just say'n !!

Stoney - works but water level could be an issue - the drive from there to the LY (back up) is longer. Stoney Fest (run by Benscreek CANOE Club) might be an option to get the water release and I'm okay cluttering up a run with a herd of canoes. :-) Usually held Mid May! Food will not be an issue since its near Johnstown.

Still like Cheat! So-so Slip, nah on NBofP, double nah LY.

Can we figure out a date and go from there?
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I know there is a movement afoot for the Cheat, but I'm likely the sounds of the Stoney for what we try to accomplish, as well as showing up at the CANOE CLUB's event. Anyone part of that crew too?

Mid may sounds good to time wise.
Keep the C!
Adam