KNeals / NBoP / CBoats Armada... whatever you call it...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Where do we boat this year for the armada? We'll figure out "when" later...

1) Back to the North Branch of the Potomac / Savage!
7%
2) Cheat Narrows or Canyon (another rave this year?!)
43%
3) Slippery Rock
14%
4) Back to our roots - Potomac around DC
No votes
5) Stoney Creek and related watershed
29%
6) ? (put your idea in the text, I'll edit the poll if I can)
7%

Total votes: 14

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

KNeals / NBoP / CBoats Armada... whatever you call it...

Post by Sir Adam »

Where do you all want to boat this year? In the past we've tried to find something class II / III(ish) so newer folks, folks coming out of hibernation will join us, and yet something with enough play spots or interest that paddlers comfortable on more difficult classes will still want to join us for a day of (easy for them) fun.

For over a decade it was on the North Branch of the Potomac, from when KNeal organized the first few after the Concordia in '99.

Last year we did the Cheat Canyon.

While I enjoyed that immensely, I think it can make a long day for folks not quite up for it (class IV as I recall). I also like that typically we're all on the same river and floating between groups, vs. splitting up where you don't get to interact with as many folks, especially as this is a weekend event, not week long... (if you have 40-60 this works, with the hundreds at ALF this wouldn't and ALF works great as is... not knocking it at all).

I'll toss out a few options, including the Cheat (this is a democracy (or at least benevolent dictatorship :wink: ) after all!
Keep the C!
Adam
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Re: KNeals / NBoP / CBoats Armada... whatever you call it...

Post by KNeal »

I will try and join the armada this year, but I'm limited to only the 2nd, 3rd and 4th weekends in May. :-? So I'll wait to vote and see where the majority are interested in going.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

I voted Cheat, mostly because the camping is better there, but I'd do the North Branch/Savage option, too. Both have their pluses and minuses. Cheat area, if it rains, is more amenable to the "pick your group/difficulty and go" model, NB, if the campground is open, is more amenable to having everyone on the same river at the same time.

Never been to the Slippery Rock area, but I'd try it. Only one I really don't want to do is the Potomac/DC option, since I don't want to fight urban traffic on the shuttles.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I added to the Slippery Rock vote to explore a new run. I am totally flexible on location though and happy to go anywhere (except the Potomac - no Potomac - bleeeh). I'm happy with whatever allows the most people to be involved. I can also take on some responsibility to help organize if needed, so just ask.

I will have a fleet of demo Blackfly Canoes for Armada. So no worries asking. I don't have a Blackfly blackfly (playboat) but we could find one and bring it if anyone is interested. Looking forward to c-ing everyone!

Enjoy this video from Armada 2011, my first iMovie video - https://vimeo.com/23203671

And 2012, "the year of the rave", photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1086195204 ... Armada2012

markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Can someone check the rave forums to see when their event at Jenkinsburg is taking place?
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

FullGnarlz? You up for that request?
Keep the C!
Adam
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'll also add reading and hearing about the Slippery Rock it sounds like it could be fun and easy enough for all to enjoy, with two different sections of different difficulties (sounds like of like the Deerfield in that respect for us New Englanders)

Any locals care to enlighten us more? Camping options? Best weekend? Coincide with the festival, or a different weekend?
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Have to lean towards the Cheat and that watershed.
Not only based on the camping... although Slippery Rock's isn't bad (NBofP sux).
But the location to multiple choices for rivers from Class I to V relatively close - depending on the water. I know in the past we tried to make it one stop shopping for all but the crowd is a traveling one and all really like to taste the goods that West by God has!
Okay the Cheat can be a long day if your're in over your head or not... but if its too big / long the LBS and UBS / LS should be running and their logistics would be good option.
Tygart (s), UY and TY are other pre/post options close at hand for the hard core if the water is there!
LY is close and is always an option regardless of h2o.
Not to mention the Narrows for those who want to work on skills and / or Cquirt!
Monroes is good for dinner! Teeters for camping gets my vote - clean, friendly and affordable!! :-)

TOG Lobbyist! :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

I'm with Paul. The Cheat and surrounding watersheds are top notch! The camping is good and,...... Monroes! Yum! :)
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I'll be at that other Armada in Switzerland, but if I was going, the Cheat would be rad
Chris Loomis
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Cheeks - how long are you in Switzerland? We don't know when we'll be holding the Armada yet... could be anytime from late April to early June! Sounds like a great trip if it's that long:)
Keep the C!
Adam
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

It is that long :D

The day after ALF til after Memorial Day. Luckily, the bodacious people over in Germany such as Insolence and Jan are going above and beyond the call to help me get to Bern with gear, so it's going to make for a great trip
Chris Loomis
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Big Al has been waging an aggressive Facebook campaign and I have succumbed to his arguments and voted Cheat.

Having said that I also can agree that something that is more intermediate allows for a larger "Armada".

Regardless, I vote we make Big Al our official Facebook Armada Publicist for 2013. If he keeps up the good work we may be able to clog every eddie on the entire Cheat watershed with large single bladed craft this year. 8)
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

If we go Cheat (and from comments here I'm thinking Slippery Rock might be a good compromise), are folks thinking CheatFest weekend or another one? I'll let the poll go a bit more, then either do a "run off" poll if necessary or just start posting dates for folks to consider.

My take is I like the Cheat, BUT I'm not sure it's a good fit for the armada as our history has been for one of the 3 days to all paddle together on one river, which usually means class II / III ish so all are comfortable... and the Canyon doesn't fit for that. North Branch of the Potomac fit the bill, and having the Savage right there was a bonus when it ran... BUT I can also see folks going for 10 years are likely up for a change in venue.

So, keep voting!
Keep the C!
Adam
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

No question the Cheat Canyon is not the venue for the group armada. But, the Cheat Narrows fits the bill, mainly because there are multiple putins and takeouts and the rapids are very doable with Calamity being the challenging, but very easy to portage, rapid. Somebody else pointed out that the Cheat watershed also offers multiple opportunities to run different rivers depending on your skills. Worse comes to worse, the NBofP is what, an hour's drive from Alright?

Guess I'm leaning toward the Cheat as well.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."