Union Suit

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jededmon
Pain Boater

Union Suit

Post by jededmon »

I'm looking at union suits to wear under my drysuit. From a couple of Google searches it looks like IR, NRS, Stohlquist, and Kokatat seem to be the most popular. Anyone have any experience with multiple suits for comparison, or any other alternatives... I know Level Six also makes one as well and there are Target/Walmart ones too. Mainly I'm wondering which ones are the warmest and the best fit (not skin tight, but also not all bunched up under a drysuit. Thanks. -Jeff
madmike
C Guru

Re: Union Suit

Post by madmike »

I only have the IR, but I like it. The neck entry thing works well. The polar fleece pils a little.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

I bought a Kokatat. It's brown (which makes me look like an elderly beaver, in the pub after the trip.)

It was the only onesie available where I shop, so I couldn't compare with other brands.

By itself, it's light enough to be suitable for late-spring and early-fall trips, north of 49.

Yesterday, (yep, we Canucks paddle all year long,) the temperature was 3 degrees Celsius (say, 37-38 Farenheit.) I added a short sleeved polyester t-shirt under, and a mid-weight fleece sweater over the onesie. On the legs, I added light fleece shorts (long-johns cut off just above the knees.) Plus Wal-Mart leg-warmers below the knees. This combo leaves the knees easy enough to bend for C-1ing. Plenty warm enough.

IMHO, you don't want a heavy-weight onesie. Dress in layers to suit the conditions. The Kokatat works for me -- in fact, I bought a second one.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

I have the IR and I like it, the neck entry and "relief area" offer reasonable accessibility. the stretchy top area does not breathe as well as the rest of the fleece, and it is the one area of my suit that is damp and clammy at the end of the day. Otherwise it is a good weight and a good product.

I have also heard good reviews of post holiday fleecy pajama union suits which offer three distinct advantages: 1) on sale for $16. 2) pictures of reindeer/little penguins 3) footies built in.

OS Systems make a 2x layer fleece sock that I highly recommend. In an open boat, you need extra insulation between the waterproof layer and your feet.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

I have the nrs. Its the only one that I've used. First off, like most nrs products the fit is snug. I have a 2xl and at 6'3" 215 lb I can barely get into it and when I do I look like a sausage. I would compare the material to a mid to heavy weight long underwear. If the temperature approaches freezing I always find myself adding layers. I like the front zip entry. Before I bought this item tried on an IR with neck entry and didn't care for it.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

I have the nrs. Its the only one that I've used. First off, like most nrs products the fit is snug. I have a 2xl and at 6'3" 215 lb I can barely get into it and when I do I look like a sausage. I would compare the material to a mid to heavy weight long underwear. If the temperature approaches freezing I always find myself adding layers. I like the front zip entry. Before I bought this item tried on an IR with neck entry and didn't care for it.
driftwood
C Guru

Post by driftwood »

I saw one a target with dinosaurs on it!

really though Jeff these might work for you: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2577/407 ... 81efd8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will dance for rain
jededmon
Pain Boater

Post by jededmon »

Thanks for all the input everyone... and thanks the meaningful insight as always John.

I think I am going to go with the Stohlquist, despite no one really mentioning it. After some searches on Boatertalk it sounds like it might be the warmest. I already have a fine layering system for all but the really cold days, and that is the point when the layers always seem all bunched together at the waist. So, I think having a one really warm layer is actually what I am looking for.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Seriously, they sell adult-size fleece footy pajamas. Way cheaper than a "brand name" I bet.