WESTFEST 2013

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

WESTFEST 2013

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Westfest will be happening again this year. Here are the dates- July 20th-24th, 2013. More info to come.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Re: WESTFEST 2012

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Great news! Thanks, Smurf. Glad to hear Mohawk's coming out west! :)

Suggestion -- transfer this to a new thread: WESTFEST 2013 ??

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Re: WESTFEST 2012

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Yes Mohawk will be at Westfest, I cant wait to make it back to ID I have not been out there in a long time.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
sganarelle
Pain Boater

Re: WESTFEST 2013

Post by sganarelle »

I am definitely coming since I will not make ALF this year. Since coming is a big committment I'd like to do make a longer trip out of it. What else should I plan to do in the area?
watermonkey
C Boater

Post by watermonkey »

Planning on coming. Will updated info be posted to the facebook page as details come available? Didn't see anything new on there except the 2012 info.
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Planning on going this year (as long as the boss allows :wink: ). Stoked to see more days slated. Can't wait!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I'll be creating a Facebook event this week and will try to keep the info posted here as well for those who are afraid of the voodoo that is FB.

For the person looking for more to do to extend the trip, heading over to run the Alpine Canyon of the Snake (Class 3) and Greys (class 4) near Alpine (Jackson Hole area) WY is always a treat.

Boise has a new play park, although its not quite as canoe friendly as Kelly's Whitewater Park in Cascade ID on the NF Payette.

Jeff
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Smurf, thanks for setting this up. I should be able to make it this year. Looking forward to boating with you again and any others who join in.

Sganarelle, if you are looking for multiday trips reasonably close to the Payette system, you could put in for a permit on the Selway (class 4), Main Salmon (class 3), Middlefork of the Salmon (class 3+) or the Snake (mostly class 2 with a couple of class 4s). Just as a hint, the Main Salmon (river of no return) usually has permits turned in on a regular basis after about the 10th of July. You could also run the South Fork of the Salmon (class 3-4 at low water) and just outside of McCall. This is a 3 or 4 day trip. One last multiday trip you might want to consider is the Lower Salmon from Hammer Creek to Heller Bar on the Snake R. It is only a couple of hours north of the Payette river. Simply fill out the permit at the put-in and you can go 50 miles of class 3 on Salmon and 20 miles on the Snake. We usually do it in 3 or 4 nights. I'm familiar with the Main, Middlefork and Lower Salmon, but not the Selway or Southfork of the Salmon. I plan to change that some day.

As for day trips, Smurf gave you a couple of good ones in Western Wyoming. You might look into the Boise river system, which is just south of the Payette. Except for the largest rivers, most rivers and creeks are fairly low late in July.

PM me if you have questions and I'll try to help.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Cool! It will be great to paddle with you again Marc.
watermonkey
C Boater

Post by watermonkey »

Looking for updates. Haven't been to Idaho, and need beta on Westfest info...specifically nearby towns, campgrounds, accomodations, etc. I couldn't find an active Facebook page for 2013.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Here's the Facebook link- https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/5602 ... ext=create" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still uploading info, what specific questions do you have? Its in the middle of the Payette river system, about an hour north of Boise, ID.

Jeff
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Here's a link to Westfest 2012, that should answer a ton of questions.

http://cboats.net/cforum3/viewtopic.php ... t=westfest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

Hey Jeff,will you head to Wyoming before or after Westfest ? Will you make that decision just prior to departure?
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Oc Ender- I paddle in Wyoming a bunch, so I should be up there before and def after Westfest. In Aug we have a club trip to Alpine canyon/Greys.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Here is the list of boats that I can deliver to Westfest for motivated buyers who want to prepurchase them. Delivery to Westfest is at no cost to you, and no tax due to out of state sale. Please get with me ASAP if you are interested, first come first served. The availability of the lightweight L'Edges is yet to be 100% confirmed. Will update when I know for sure.

Esquif
L'Edge Red- Wood Gunwales $1805
L'Edge Green- Wood Gunwale $1805
L'Edge Yellow- Lightweight, wood Gunwales $1805
L'Edge Yellow- Lightweight, wood Gunwales $1805
Prelude $1615
Spanish Fly $1615

Big Dog
Force OC1- Red $1450
Force OC1- Blue $1450