Winter paddling attire?s

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Libraryhound
c

Winter paddling attire?s

Post by Libraryhound »

I am going from kayaking to canoeing and need advice about winter paddling dry wear. I have a dry top and thought about getting a Kokatat Tropos Whirlpool Bib and outfitting my new canoe+extra gear. Or I could get a dry suit but it goes past my budget so no extra outfitting or gear and maybe a week in the dog house. Would a whirlpool bib be ok for one winter?(paddling the tuck and section 3 chatooga weekends) Or am fooling myself?
One last question who makes canoe poggies?
Thanks
Libraryhound
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Winter paddling attire?s

Post by KNeal »

Gotta be careful about aquiring wetsuits when kneeling (decked or open). The material bunches behind the knee squeezing the area and cutting off blood circulation to the lower extremeties. Your combination may be okay if you will pretty much stay in the boat, you just don't want water collecting inside the drytop and that water has a hard time draining out. Look for a wetsuit that specifically minimizes material behind the knee or on the back of the legs.

Have fun out there and welcome to a closer step toward the light.

http://youtu.be/vtLYJ4STuXY

8)

I just reread my post AFTER puttin it up here. I'll leave it until I can think of a reply that more addresses your question. :roll:
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

i gave up the dry top bib combo for a dry suit. the tropos is ok if your going to stay in a dry boat. :-?
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Libraryhound
c

Post by Libraryhound »

Bit the bullet and ordered a drysuit. Will sell my kayak gear to make up the deference.
Any one know where I can get canoe Poggies? I saw some almost 9 years ago. But not any lately.
Libraryhound
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Glad you got a dry suit. I love my MOuntain Surf canoe pogies- easy to get on and off when needed and warm
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I just used a single Kayak pogie on the shaft and a glove on the T-grip on January 1st. It was a good solution. I haven't liked gloves on the shaft hand for grip reasons, but the T-grip isn't an issue, using the pogie was a big improvement in holding on to the paddle when things got squirrely.

Shep
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Thought I'd bring this post back up regarding pogies and winter paddling:

http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php? ... lit=pogies
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
BillP
C Boater

Post by BillP »

Totally agree with Shep. The Michael Jackson look is the way to go. If you really want to use a pogie on the t-grip, just sew up one end of a kayak pogie. Campmor sells a nice pair of pogies for ~$20.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___45572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BobH
C Boater

Post by BobH »

These are what I use
http://belugaworld.com/?p=produits.item&pid=169&pg=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

Not exactly the link I was looking for, but there are plans out there and for a few bucks you can roll your own: http://www.wwslalom.net/pogies/index.htm
FURZTROCKEN!
Libraryhound
c

Post by Libraryhound »

Thanks for all the information, I have loved my poggies for kayaking they have kept my hands warm on the coldest days I have paddled. I can sew up the ends on one of them as suggested. I have 3 pairs of level6 poggies so if it fails I am not out. Getting ready for my first run in my canoe next weekend, : )
Libraryhound
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I found the pogie on the t grip to be very awkward. I like to use my t-grip hand to let go of the paddle and hand brace off of rocks, or wipe my nose. getting back in to the t-grip pogie in a hurry is difficult and gripping the t-grip over the top of the pogie really sucks. its not the same as getting a quick grip on the shaft away from the pogie..Did that make any sense?
anyways, I sport the pogie on the shaft and glove on the t-grip like Shep and Billp
Larry