ALF/Pre-ALF Workshops

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

golder
CBoats Addict

Re: ALF/Pre-ALF Workshops

Post by golder »

Two things:

1) Please, please, PLEASE don't let the fact that people act like pompous bags-of-wind on the internet (and, yes, occasionally, in person) deter you from coming to ALF. It's the most fun week of the year if you're an open boater. Yes, you will hear people yelling ridiculous things at one another, mostly at folks they know well and harass regularly. That said, generally speaking the group the shows up, both locals and folks visiting, is filled with folks who will help you out any way they can, on or off the river: they will offer you shirts off their backs, help on the river (I've seen people swim to help others get back in their boats.), loan you boats from their basements, offer room to crash on their floors, give you a place to shower and dry your gear when you really need it. They will make sure you're fed and got what you need.

That said, there is no accounting for what terrible hogwash, malarkey, drivel, and intentionally insulting rubbish these same people who just gave you a shirt off their back might say on the internet for reasons known to no man.

2) Returning to topic: In one day on the river with Eli, you'll progress more than in a week straight of messin' around paddling and trying to re-invent the wheel yourself. I think a day with Eli on the river is worth more for your skills than a summer full of weekend paddling trips. And you wont meet a nicer guy.
VTBoater
Pain Boater

Post by VTBoater »

I'm so glad to hear all of the positive feedback about ALF folks! I've been paddling for six years now and have never met nicer people than fellow paddlers. I'm glad to hear such great things about the ALF atmosphere, and look forward to attending when I can. Sorry for the ****-storm that my comment (probably predictably) started over on FB. :oops:

(For the record, I enjoy Louie's posts and didn't mean my comment as an ad hominem attack on him, which seemed to be the assumption).

I'm an older woman, and am not a big fan of "homo" jokes and cartoon vaginas wearing helmets, so I didn't want to put myself in a situation where that was the prevailing tone of discourse. I get that it's humor and not ill-intended, and I'm totally cool with it if that's your thing, it's just not my style. I'm old enough to know what gets on my nerves, and I didn't want to show up and then be all cranky because I was out of step with the general social vibe.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope to meet some southeastern paddlers later in March when our spring break allows me some travel time.

Best wishes for blue skies and clean lines.

Chris
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I think the homo jokes are toned down in person at ALF, mostly to avoid getting lynched in Gatlinburg.

No but seriously, I hope anyone reading this can see through the BS on the GDI page. For the most part, it's just a bunch of (silly)*clowns (myself included) screwing around. And I'd say less than 10% of that spills over into the ALF event, depending on who you're boating with. I'm going to try and be a little bit better behaved on GDI; this thread was rather enlightening on how the public reaction to our inside jokes might be negative.

Hope to see everyone and anyone at ALF, and if I've offended anyone, let me know and I'll buy you a beer. Except Tommy, he steals enough of mine as it is

*word was modified
Chris Loomis
JFC
C Boater

Post by JFC »

Cheeks (or anyone else for that matter), I wouldn't worry too much about people getting the wrong idea. For what it's worth, I'm one thousand miles from all of this, and I can see through it. Hey, the group is called GDI, not the Nobel Laureates of Eastern Tennessee.

People aren't all the same, and people can disagree. Without sounding too corny, the whole thing seems like a family argument. Sure, there's conflict, but we can see where everyone is coming from. Taking sides on any of it is just going to be divisive.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

:roll: .....................................................
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

JFC wrote:Cheeks (or anyone else for that matter), I wouldn't worry too much about people getting the wrong idea. For what it's worth, I'm one thousand miles from all of this, and I can see through it. Hey, the group is called GDI, not the Nobel Laureates of Eastern Tennessee.

People aren't all the same, and people can disagree. Without sounding too corny, the whole thing seems like a family argument. Sure, there's conflict, but we can see where everyone is coming from. Taking sides on any of it is just going to be divisive.
I think it depends on your personality and if you have seen the user IDs posting elsewhere. For example, if all you've seen of "userX" is some of the BS on the GDI page, your starting impression of that persion is pretty poor. If you've seen that same person being helpful and encouraging elsewhere, such as this forum, then you can probably see through the BS easier. I know I'd choose someone who's demonstrated some level of decorum and helpfulness before widening my circle to the person who's only been mud-slinging. I know I'm not alone in saying that.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Time to move this topic back to paddling workshops offered by Eli Helbert. Other discussions can certainly be in other posts.

Glad to see y'all excited over the up and coming paddling season already!
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Roger
C Guru

Post by Roger »

Been to Alf twice. Going back for third time. Got way more drama in a day in my classroom as a teacher than I've seen in my two trips.

And yes, there are some women boaters in the group. Take a session with Eli. You will be a much better paddler for it!
Atucky
CBoats Addict

Post by Atucky »

I too recomend Eli. He is an excellent Canoe teacher.

He is good at catering to your specific needs. When I took a class with him, I did not have anything particular I wanted to work on. But knew I wanted to improve my skills. He was able to identify things I could work on regarding form, and provided me with tips that I still use today.

I can't remember the name of the stroke he taught us but I never thought I would use it. You reach out far behind you, pull the water into your boat, flip the paddle, then follow through all the way through to the bow. I actually use it pretty often now.
Adam Trunnell
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Atucky wrote: You reach out far behind you, pull the water into your boat, flip the paddle, then follow through all the way through to the bow. I actually use it pretty often now.
Far back stroke?
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

What Atucky is describing is a compound backstroke. Useful when back ferrying or simply paddling backwards. Think I first saw it done on "Drill Time! Solo Playboating II".
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."