Wooden T Grip

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dave.E
C Guru

Wooden T Grip

Post by Dave.E »

I want to replace the T grip on my paddle with one similar to the echo paddles. I remember seeing a post a while back on how to make one but can't find it.

For those of you who made your own, how did you do it?

Dave
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ezwater
C Maven

Re: Wooden T Grip

Post by ezwater »

These are views of my most successful effort. It is asymmetrical, for a curved blade Clinch River slalom type paddle. My hand is large, and it would need to be scaled down for most people.

The wood is elm, but many woods might do, and would be easier to carve. But elm is water resistant.

I cut a blank, pre-drilled a hole for the shaft tenon, and clamped the wood most of the time while I shaped it with Stanley Sureform tools. I also tried using my Dremel, but it was hard to control on very hard wood.

Having over-shortened the shaft in a failed experiment, I had to lengthen it with dowels surrounded by epoxy thickened with microfibers and sawdust. Don't let that part confuse your eye.

Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

Thanks! That's a really nice job.

I'm thinking of using 1 inch doweling for the paddle insert then tapering it down to go inside another piece of 1 inch doweling used as the handle. I'm trying to think of a way to taper it down though. If only I had a lathe!

Dave
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

Carved this with a pocket knife. AB edge upgrade, Oak dowel. Fun project for a lazy Skype date.
Attachments
Tgrip Z 2.jpg
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

DaveE---- you may not need something as rugged as 1" dowel for the junction. Think about 3/4" and see if you can ditch the need for tapering. I usually use two 3/8" dowels a little distance from one another. I fill the gap with thickened epoxy.