Coming soon....

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Coming soon....

Post by kaz »

....the Stinkeye.
A design by Michael Bolton, soon to be produced in composite from Millbrook Boats.
I expect to have the first one on the water by February, provided there is water in liquid form available in NH.
Pictures coming.
JKaz......
kaz

Re: Coming soon....

Post by kaz »

You can see a couple pictures of the Stinkeye plug on the Millbrook Boats facebook page. You don't have to be a facebook member to look at that page.
Sanding, more sanding, then a bit more sanding, then I'll make the mold.
JKaz......
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Nice to see you are getting a bit of time to work on it. :D
I can't wait to see just how light they come in at!
kaz

Post by kaz »

Just sprayed the STINKEYE plug with a primer, sanding session round 3 starts next.
Attachments
stinkeye 003.JPG
JKaz......
kaz

Post by kaz »

Another view.
Attachments
stinkeye 002.JPG
JKaz......
Barskekarsten
Pain Boater

Post by Barskekarsten »

Wow!

I just have one question: How do you check that both sides become equal? I have seen pictures of Mike stripbuliding the centre of the plug so I know how that works, but what about the final 1/16 of an inch to get i perfect?
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Barskekarsten wrote:Wow!

I just have one question: How do you check that both sides become equal? I have seen pictures of Mike stripbuliding the centre of the plug so I know how that works, but what about the final 1/16 of an inch to get i perfect?
I don't know about Kaz, but for me a 1/16" tolerance is not a practical goal. 1/8" (or more) maybe. Much of my final finishing is done with crude templates, a tape measure, and a close eye comparison. In performance terms, you'll never notice a little asymmetry.
Bob P
Fleetwalker
C Boater

Post by Fleetwalker »

I realize it's a little early to start speculating about a boat that is still in the process of being built, but . . .

With the notable exception of Composite Creation's Splash, there really aren't any open WW boats for kids. I'm thinking specifically of something short and light weight with high primary stability. I'm wondering if the Stinkeye could be shortened to work as a kids boat. The Splash is 7' 11", so at 9'+ the Stinkeye is still on the "long" side for that market.

I'm not clear on how much rocker the Stinkeye has or what it's primary stability is like, so maybe the idea is crazy. Also, I'd be unlikely to buy a boat from Kaz and then cut it up so there is that as well.
Northwoodsbc
C Boater

Post by Northwoodsbc »

I think MikeyB mentioned that he was working on a kids design.

Looking good Kaz.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Not to muddy the waters, but I believe Ian Thomson has also created a kids boat....

John Berry / Millbrook at a youth model decades ago as well.

But you're right, there aren't many out there.
Keep the C!
Adam
thomsonbytheriver
Pain Boater

Post by thomsonbytheriver »

It's called the Electro. Here's the link to see it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_hToD1hNcM

Ian
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

height of gunwales and width of boat (esp @ gunwales) are going to be the main concerns for a kid's boat. lightweight and stable would be tertiary concerns.

Bob Wiggins keeps talking about putting together a kids boat based on his experience canoeing as a youngster.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Aaron Harchak and Chriscanoe are building the kids sized boats to test out the design. Maybe next spring we'll see if it works ok or needs some tweaking still. :)
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Bob P wrote:
Barskekarsten wrote:Wow!

I don't know about Kaz, but for me a 1/16" tolerance is not a practical goal. 1/8" (or more) maybe. Much of my final finishing is done with crude templates, a tape measure, and a close eye comparison. In performance terms, you'll never notice a little asymmetry.

What bob.. you don't have one of these in your shop?
I bet Kaz does. It's the only way... That old school hand and eye stuff is way too hard. :wink:
Larry
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Larry Horne wrote: What bob.. you don't have one of these in your shop?
I bet Kaz does. It's the only way... That old school hand and eye stuff is way too hard. :wink:
The only thing in my shop that implies some technology is a digital protractor. I've got a Bridgeport that's almost as old as I am. :cry:

I'm waiting for a 3D printer that will handle 4m x 1m areas...
Bob P