Grand Canyon solo

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cadster
CBoats Addict

Grand Canyon solo

Post by cadster »

Maybe a canoeing milestone?

Doug Green launched at 1:30pm on Wednesday (10/17/2012). What a profound experience to witness him finally living his dream--he's wanted this for 40 years, waited forever for the permit, endured the spider bite setback and three shoulder surgeries--I am so proud, inspired and so very happy for him! I stood on Navajo bridge and watched him pass under 500 feet below. We called out to each other and then his final signal was to slap the water with his paddle! Thanks to all of you for supporting his spirit and his dream! Please continue to send good thoughts over the next 24 days to him and the river gods.
Loaded boat for 24 days - All food, groover (toilet), camping gear, solor panels, air bags, meds and spare paddle
Loaded boat for 24 days - All food, groover (toilet), camping gear, solor panels, air bags, meds and spare paddle
Attachments
580767_4130165777335_1428559663_n.jpg
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Re: Grand Canyon solo

Post by Cheeks »

Badass! After canoeing it myself this summer, I will admit I've entertained the idea of soloing it, but man, I would not want to paddle some of the flat sections in a short solo boat. Can't wait to hear more
Chris Loomis
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Flat sections wouldn't be too bad as long as the wind doesn't blow. But over 24 days, it will. And likely in your face. I think what would be hard is doing it self support like that. A loaded boat will make it really hard to accelerate away from the nasty stuff. Running it loaded like that is definitely badass.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

May it be everything planned for and more! Looking forward for updates!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Will updates come to the cboats forum or is there a link to share to a dedicated site? If we get the link or updates here, we can sticky that post and keep it up at top for other cboaters to see and read.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

I don’t know Doug well, but my impression is that he won’t be sharing much about his trip. It’s his partner who announced the start and took the photos. I’ll pass along what I find out, but regardless it’ll likely be in a month after he finishes.

Here’s another passion of his:
http://www.spiritofthegrain.com/
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

It would be great to hear more.

Looks like a waterproof solar panel system.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

From second hand info, Doug's solar panels are for recharging camera and pump batteries.

I'm most impressed with the length of time Doug plans to be in the canyon. Kayak self-support trips seem to go ten days long. I'm wondering if Doug's getting resupplied at Phantom or if he's going to be losing weight.
disqo
Pain Boater

Post by disqo »

I will be going to the Grand Canyon in February and an very interested in his solar set up if anyone knows more. I would really like to be able to use the pumps in my boat for the whole trip.
Thanks!

Shane
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

Latest news is that Doug is past Phantom Ranch and should be off the river next week.
Attachments
423141_4216350571901_1002653777_n.jpg
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Wow! Amazing and inspirational!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
riverratNE
c

Post by riverratNE »

Wow, that's impressive and very inspiring. I hope to see more, and congrats to him on reaching his lifelong dream!

-Alexis :-)
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

Doug finished his trip.

Here's his run of Lava Falls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGjBtk2uZog

Here's what Doug says about his line:

"Yeah, the V-Wave filled me up. it shows better from the front, but it's when I disappear at the start of the run. From then on I'm full, and fighting to be upright and move a little left to hit the left part of the wave - the right part throws you into Cheese Grater, the big rock below right, not good. So I'm trying to stay upright and do a bit of backferry to move me left a little, and hoping to catch the break in the wave right, which luckily happened just AFTER I crossed the crest. The spin on top of the wave left me to run backwards past the pillow over Cheese Grater and enter the eddy below right to recover."
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Man, that's sweet how he goes up on top of the wave just before it reverts back to breaking mode. Talk about being at the right place at the right time.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Thats awesome!