C1 conversion outfitting?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

lung
C Guru

C1 conversion outfitting?

Post by lung »

I have a H3 245 that was already converted when I bought it. The previous owner built a foam saddle on top of the rail that was already in place. He glued the saddle to both the rail and the bottom of the hull. I just noticed that the saddle is no longer connected to the bottom of the hull. As far as I can tell the rail is only connected to a bolt that goes through the bow pillar. The stern end of the rail is only held in buy a foam stern pillar with no bolt. I've heard somewhere that there is an issue with gluing something that doesn't bend onto something that does. What would be the proper fix? Pull the seat completely off and re-glue to both the bottom and the rail? Try to get a paint brush of glue in there without pulling it up to glue the saddle to the floor? Do I need to also glue down the rail? Should I try something different? I was tempted for a moment to leave it as is, but then I'm guessing the stern part of the rail would eventually rip the foam stern pillar out.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Re: C1 conversion outfitting?

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Hey Lung

Good questions. I'd love to hear other responses.

I'll probably be attacked for this, but I've never liked to glue seats/saddles in any boat -- C-1 or OC-1. I prefer to leave the seat removable.

I've just finished a C-1 conversion, using an aluminum fence-rail, and fabricating my own mini-cell saddle. I notched the underside of the foam-walls, bow and stern, so the rail underlaps the foam by 4" at each end. I glued a half-inch layer of foam to the underside of the rail, so I could shape it to conform to the curve of the hull.

The saddle was constructed with a notch full length, front to back, on the underside, so the saddle can straddle the rail. Also, the saddle is notched at the back, so it can straddle the stern foam-wall.

With the saddle wedged tightly under the back of the cockpit rim, straddling the foam-walls and rail, and held in place laterally by ankle blocks cemented to the hull, nothing moves. Knee-blocks glued to the hull in front of the saddle keep it from sliding out, frontwards. The rail can't move, cuz it's held in place by the saddle and the foam-walls.

Two solid trips last weekend in the new boat, including some falls-hucking, and several practice rolls, and everything is still intact and tight.

My pix are too large to attach, but if you're interested, PM me, and I'll e-mail them.

Now let's hear more opinions and ideas. :o

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

If you search you can see my H3:255 and Burn converstions. Mine sounds similar to Pierre's. But I have never used the fence rail thing, seems like it would add weight, just glue foam on the rail that came the boat, not glued to the floor. I then cut slots in the rail for the straps. The glued in knee and ankle blocks will keep it from moving from side to side.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Mine is set up like AJ's - foam C1 seat glued to the seat rail that came with the boat, not to the floor. The front of the stock rail is bolted to a piece of plastic that follows the inside of the boat and bolts to each side above the waterline - this keeps the front of the rail from sliding side to side. The back of the rail doesn't have this and is only plugged into the rear foam pillar - sometimes it moves a little, but not much. I may add a piece to the back like I have on the front.

I have 1/4" minicell sheets glued to the floor of the boat, with 3" thick knee wedges glued down to this. Straps and snap shackle connected to the stock rail. One day I'll get up pictures.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
lung
C Guru

Post by lung »

Thanks for the feedback! I've leaned back towards leaving it as is. It doesn't move around all that much.