Option vs Octane 91

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

leclercraven
C Guru

Option vs Octane 91

Post by leclercraven »

I'm starting to think about my next boat purchase. Could anybody tell me the differences between the Option and Octane in terms of performance...stability, speed, rollability and dryness? I'm looking for a creek boat that can also handle big river features like the ones we have on the Ottawa and Gatineau. I don't know if this make a difference, but I'm 5'11", 193 lbs.

Thanks.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Option vs Octane 91

Post by Wendy »

For your river, no question - Octane. Very dry in big water and an excellent creeker for your weight, very dry, stable, but engage the edges and spins on a dime. I have hand rolled mine several times. The Option is also an excellent boat in SE waters, for lighter paddlers, or those not wanting the added stability of the Octane. The excellent primary stability allows me to rest my knees by sitting on the back thwart, stand to paddle, and be very aggressive with better form to my strokes.
Just my 2 cents
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Post by solo_konoe »

My Octane just had its first run on the Lower Gauley. Very stable. I was merely along for the ride. :o Love this boat! Fun, fun, fun...
6'3", 15 stones
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

I'd suggest zero in on buying one of the new molded Options with the 2" higher deck and forget the Octane 91. Alex had a new Option with Ocatane thwarts to push it wider than stock. Alex liked the new tweak at gauley last weekend and reported marginally better stability. After having the Option out on the Grand Canyon last month I know that extra 2" in deck height is a valuable tweak.....and especially for you with some big water Ottawa plans.

Personally I disliked my demo running the 91 on the Tellico so I suggest you demo to see what you think of it for yourself
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

the 91 did roll much better than I thought it would. Not a concern by my book.
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

Creeker wrote:I'd suggest zero in on buying one of the new molded Options with the 2" higher deck and forget the Octane 91. Alex had a new Option with Ocatane thwarts to push it wider than stock. Alex liked the new tweak at gauley last weekend and reported marginally better stability. After having the Option out on the Grand Canyon last month I know that extra 2" in deck height is a valuable tweak.....and especially for you with some big water Ottawa plans.

Personally I disliked my demo running the 91 on the Tellico so I suggest you demo to see what you think of it for yourself
There are no Octane 91's in the region that I know of, but there are definitely Options and they are running all the big stuff and doing well. I think you'll find the Octane 91 more stable & drier, but slower compared to the Option. That's just a guess looking at the size & shape because I haven't paddled it. Try before you buy, and that new Option that Creeker mentions may be just the ticket for you. Talk to Jeremy (owner of Blackfly) as well.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

leclercraven,
Do you have multiple canoes that you switch out and run this or that frequently?
Do you run bigger drops boofing and plugging in the 10-20ft range? Drops like baby falls etc.
Have you ever creeked in a zoom or a prelude and really enjoyed it?
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

Creeker wrote:leclercraven,
Do you have multiple canoes that you switch out and run this or that frequently?
Do you run bigger drops boofing and plugging in the 10-20ft range? Drops like baby falls etc.
Have you ever creeked in a zoom or a prelude and really enjoyed it?
I have one boat, a Esquif Raven. I've been OC1'ing for just over a year now and although my boat is very stable and forgiving I would like something a little sportier. Our local rivers are the Ottawa and the Gatineau, fairly big water, class 4-5... But we do have some smaller "creek style" rivers as well. In fact, that is the style of boating I prefer, technical rivers with drops and obstacles. I basically want a "do it all boat" for big water, creeks and surfing...I definitely want to do more surfing. Nothing too fancy, front & back only type of surfing. I would like to be able to "play" a wave/hole feature a little better. My Raven is a bit long and big for that. I did try some C1 playboating; fun but too difficult...good for surfing, horrible for river running...and I don't have the opportunity to practice enough to get good at it anyway. So I thought that maybe a L'Edge, Option or Octane could do the trick!?
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

See PM for details
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Post by solo_konoe »

Creeker wrote:See PM for details
Ditto.
:roll:
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

such little content on here and we re going to pms
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

This is a tough question in relation to these questions... "performance...stability, speed, rollability and dryness".

The OCtane 91 beats the Option in all of the those, except maybe rolling, but its a difference of a what your expectations are. The OCtane is much easier to roll than one would expect, but the Option is even easier to roll. You're much more likely to flip and need your roll in the Option though.

The best way I suggest making the choice is deciding if you want a planning hull (OCtane 91) or a displacement hull (Option). They are not perfect categories but they define the styles of the boats pretty well.
BlueFloater
c

Post by BlueFloater »

I'm 6', 190 and feel perfectly comfortable in the Option. I don't think your size alone would warrant moving up to the Octane.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

how about my big frame @ 6'4" 235# and love to surf/sidesurf? i like stay upright as much as possible. the only thing i can roll is 420 everything seems to be over and out for me. :cry:
Last edited by hazardharry on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

The Octane91 would float you high and dry at your size.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.