Probe 13 into an OC2 possible?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cwbysid
c

Probe 13 into an OC2 possible?

Post by cwbysid »

We paddle tandem an XL 14 and solo in Probe 11 and 13.

We are badly needing a more performance tandem and replace the probe 13 w/shorter boat. We are looking at probe 14 and captions for our tandem.

Has anyone turned the probe 13 into a tandem? I don't think it will work, but let me know what you know or think. I already own the boat, so......? I am stern 6' @ 160 lbs and my wife at bow 5'9" @ 130 lbs.

We paddle TN waters and currently up to Ocoee level.

Thanks, Mike
avlclimber
C Guru

Re: Probe 13 into an OC2 possible?

Post by avlclimber »

As a Probe paddler, you know that either the 13or14 has huge performance gains over the XL series. The Probe 14 is a very capable boat. Remember that the 13 is really the old 12 (12'8") and they cut all of that length out of the middle where the volume to float you is. I think you will be too heavy for the probe 13, even as a wet ride/experiment.

That said, I am the owner of a tandem Ocoee, and it is balls out fun, if you run the pumps and don't plan on much flatwater. but we are a sub 250lb team, and it is still awfully wet and fishtails.

I have spent a lot of time looking at solo boat designs to turn tandem, as our light weight could stand something smaller than a Caption. The issue is in the center volume and finding a boat that won't sink the middle too far.

The other issue beyond combined weight is that it is not centered in the boat. It is harder to keep the nose up when the weight of the bowman keeps it down. This problem is solved by more central volume and either fuller ends or longer ends.

Tiny tandems are stupid fun however. Toss the 13 in a lake and sit on some foam blocks; keep the saddles close in and see how it sits/paddles.
Any other thoughts out there? I have a Probe 12/13 in the basement I could always convert if it works out...
cwbysid
c

Post by cwbysid »

I hear what you saying and I agree that it may fe a fine line of being able and not able. The lake trial is good idea and we could even play around a little with it in a safe rapid or two near the road.

Good point on the issue of weight keeping the rocker bow and stern further in the water definetly would effect performance.

OK, with the Ocoee at 11'2", I never would have thought about it being a tandem boat. Did you just do it or had you seen it done before? How big a water do you paddle with it?
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

:D

(Golder there is heavier than my standard partners, but he's a fine righty.)
Attachments
Tandem Ocoee 1.jpg
cwbysid
c

Post by cwbysid »

Pictures are worth a thousand words and you could not have answered my question more thoroughly!! That's a GREAT pic!!

I measured, contemplated, scratched my head a couple times and even sat in tandem seat positions in our probe 12/13 again today contemplating the idea. It's getting more hypothetically real by the day.

Any other knowledge or inputs about this possibility?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Just outfit it and take it for a test run. You're going to want to tweak it later anyway as you dial into it. :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
tstdanny

Post by tstdanny »

Hey there, just seen this thread, avlclimber you think you could post a few pics of your outfitting at some point, might be a good idea for a winter project. Thanks in advanced.
keez
C Guru

Post by keez »

I just converted my Nitro into an OC2, for my son and I. Took it on a test run yesterday and the boat handles admirably. Could even use more weight in the bow then my son's 65 lbs. I'll post pix if you're interested. I've also left the centre seat in for use as a solo boat, and made the front seat removable for tripping.
Go with PAC's suggestion.
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

Hey I just converted my Ion tandem.... Just kidding :roll:
cwbysid
c

Post by cwbysid »

Keez and avlclimber, I would like to see some pics of your outfitting. I was looking at keeping the solo saddle in place as well and custom building an addition the front and rear for the tandem set-up. I've got some ideas, but some pics would help.
keez
C Guru

Post by keez »

Mike,
Here are some pictures of the tandem Nitro conversion I made for my son and I.
I used scrap foam for the outfitting, so it is not the prettiest install, but it works well.
The front saddle is removable for solo tripping.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Geoff
Attachments
IMG00030-20120905-1901.jpg
IMG00028-20120905-1900.jpg
IMG00027-20120905-1900.jpg
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

Thanks for posting the nitro outfitting pics. I am fascinated that you like it tandem. I paddled one recently and barely liked it solo. I'd like a more full report about that boat.

As for the Ocoee, I have been meaning to provide pics, a review and details on the double-bulkhead/triple saddle I built for it. I certainly learned some things, but the process has been fun. Perhaps for now this snippet of video will suffice:

http://youtu.be/X8YWXFW1jkc
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Pick up a couple of Zooms and attach them nose to tail. Crack the whip! 8)