6'6" 250lbs for a taureau?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

swimjim

6'6" 250lbs for a taureau?

Post by swimjim »

Hello all,
I'm a avid kayaker looking for some new flavor on some easier stretches of river. I'm looking to do some c1ning, I can't find much info on the esquif taureau and was looking for some thoughts on it. Like I said I'm a big boy and I have a chance to pick up one of these cool little boats.
Any info would be appreciated
leclercraven
C Guru

Re: 6'6" 250lbs for a taureau?

Post by leclercraven »

I've paddled one once and all I can say is that the Taureau is one fun little boat. Very light and nervous, spins on a dime. This boat must be paddled mostly from the front. Super easy to roll. I know someone who has one for sale. It's in very good condition and comes with factory installed combing to take a sprayskirt. PM me and I'll send you his e-mail. Much more comfortable than a pure C1 since you sit a little higher. I'm just not sure if it will handle your weight well though. I'm 5'11" at 193 lbs. Hope somebody out there can answer this question.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

At 250, I would suggest you're over the ideal weight capacity for the boat. I also found it paddled much differently than any other can I've paddled, and may not be the best choice for a first canoe.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I agree. I had one and found 200 # handled differently than my lighter friends. Now, a Spanish Fly would be fun, perhaps not a best first boat, but very fun.
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

From my taureau owner experience, I would recommend you run away from that boat as fast as you can, unless you can get it dirt cheap. I found them to be poorly made (sheet formed plastic, not rotomolded), top heavy/hard to roll, ugly, and consistantly cut my thumb on that stupid seam. Everyone that I paddle with hated it too, not just me.

You might want to look at a big planning type hull river runner/creeker like the Everest or maybe the new Dagger Mamba 8.6, or Prijon Pure XL? Or something even bigger, big volume will be your friend and allow for a taller saddle.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I won't say AJ is wrong, but I do think he is on the most negative end of people's reactions. I have one, and recently upgraded to an Option. I think the Taureau was probably a revolutionary boat when it was designed, but they didn't get everything right (like the manufacturing process that AJ mentions). The new boats are definitely a big improvement. If you can find the right K1 for the right price to convert, or a used L'Edge, you'll avoid some of the downsides of the Taureau. I think 250 is heavy enough to make the L'Edge a muh better choice for you than an Option.

Hope this helps,
Shep
swimjim

Post by swimjim »

Guys I thank ya for all the honest opinions but I'm not crossing over to the dark side just yet. First off I'm a butt boater and i get stuck doing easy class 2-3 trips with newbs and that's not a bad thing but like I said I want to spice up my upper new trips. The taureau is $400 with a nice paddle from a friend. I have a everest that would be a good candidate but I want to oc1 not c1 or k1. Heck before this deal came my way I was pondering using a 16' rec canoe for more river flavor. I haven't made up my mind yet on the taureau but if I got to whare I could style that thing it would bring my coolness level to a new hight I could never reach in a yak no matter how good I get. This is all good stuff. Keep it coming. Thanks
Jim
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

Give it a try, what's the worse that can happen? If it's not for you just sell it. Anyways, good luck and have fun!
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Sorry, it just wasen't my favorite boat for the reasons stated. The price is right, if it is in good condition. My only suggestion would be to check the chines for stress (whitish plastic) or cracks. And don't rub your thumb on the seam when rolling. :)
rainfoot
Pain Boater

Post by rainfoot »

WARNING--POSSIBLE THREAD HIGHJACK--WARNING

So, leclercraven sez, "Super easy to roll" but AJ sez "hard to roll" - which is it? Why the disparity? Easy/hard compared to what?
OC1 spoken here.
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

rainfoot wrote:WARNING--POSSIBLE THREAD HIGHJACK--WARNING

So, leclercraven sez, "Super easy to roll" but AJ sez "hard to roll" - which is it? Why the disparity? Easy/hard compared to what?
Ok, so I've paddled the Taureau only once. I've done a bit a kayaking and do all of my canoeing in fairly big boats like the Nitro and the Raven. Now, compared to these boats, I've found the Taureau a breeze to roll. I was even able to do some high brace and off-side rolls almost effortlessly. Maybe it's because I'm used to rolling bigger boats, in don't know, but from my experience, I think that even a first timer could learn to roll that thing in ten minutes!
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I always thought it was easier boat to roll. It turtles, rather than hanging up on it's side. It has decent 2ndary stability. It's not too deep. It rolls fast and dryish.

I don't buy the top-heavy argument.... the paddler always makes the boat top heavy... extra 10lbs of plastic making up the deck is minor.

I like the Taureau... it feels light and nimble in the water.... it's also really nice and light to carry.
kslund
Pain Boater

Post by kslund »

AJ had the skirted version. I wonder if that might have made it harder to roll due to more bouyancy. I tried to roll AJs a few times and I felt like I was having to pull my body up on top of the boat rather than rolling the boat under me (not sure if that makes any sense :lol: )
Berkshire Jack
Pain Boater

Post by Berkshire Jack »

My 2 cents. Before I bought a Taureau (I bought the skirted version), I had gone 2 years without ever missing a roll in any of my C1's - combat, squirrely water, playing, whatever - no missed roles. Wanted a boat to do some creeking. Didn't want to do another conversion, and thought the Taureau might work. My rolls in the Taureau were 50/50. Could never figure it out after two seasons of really trying to make it work. Lost confidence in the boat. Thought it was slow anyways. Sold it. Did a kayak creek boat conversion. For the last 2 years, I have never missed a roll. Life is good.
C1-er
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I would suggest you check out the Bigdog Force OC1, I paddled Louie's Tboat and didn't like it and I love the Force.
Attachments
DSCF4153.JPG