Fixing up an old Mohawk Scamp...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sc-vapaddler
c

Fixing up an old Mohawk Scamp...

Post by sc-vapaddler »

Just wondering what the materials are in the hull (need to do some patchwork) and curious about the saddle setup: it has a Perception saddle installed...should I leave it or can I shed some weight by installing a foam setup? Would it still perform if a triple saddle setup were to be installed? Trying to make it so I can take others while still being able to function as a solo boat if possible. Thinking of the triple saddles installed in Dagger boats.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated!
Bill M
C Guru

Re: Fixing up an old Mohawk Scamp...

Post by Bill M »

The perception saddle weighs about 9lbs so you can make it lighter by shedding it. From experience it will be a wet boat as a tandem. Still does good, you just have to dump it a lot. We made the elevator move at broken nose and then the micro eddy between the bottom drops on the Ocoee, then had to dump it. It works probably better with light paddlers.
The triple saddle should work. It's made of the original royalex so is repairable and tough.
Bill
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

sc-vapaddler wrote: . . . a Perception saddle installed...should I leave it or can I shed some weight by installing a foam setup? Would it still perform if a triple saddle setup were to be installed? . . .
FWIW, this topic has been discussed in the past, (though as "Piranha" rather than as "Scamp.") It's pretty much the same hull, however.

I raised the topic, cuz I have an old composite Piranha hull, which I'm in the process of converting. ('Twas my very first true WW solo boat, dating back to the early '80s!) The chatter in these pages was that it DOES make a serviceable tandem boat, and -- Yes -- there's no reason you can't put in a 3-way seating system.

As far as the Perception saddle is concerned, it makes a very good boat anchor, when filled with cement.

Good luck with your conversion! Let's swap pix when we're done! :)

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
sc-vapaddler
c

Post by sc-vapaddler »

Pierre LaPaddelle wrote:
sc-vapaddler wrote: . . . a Perception saddle installed...should I leave it or can I shed some weight by installing a foam setup? Would it still perform if a triple saddle setup were to be installed? . . .
FWIW, this topic has been discussed in the past, (though as "Piranha" rather than as "Scamp.") It's pretty much the same hull, however.

I raised the topic, cuz I have an old composite Piranha hull, which I'm in the process of converting. ('Twas my very first true WW solo boat, dating back to the early '80s!) The chatter in these pages was that it DOES make a serviceable tandem boat, and -- Yes -- there's no reason you can't put in a 3-way seating system.

As far as the Perception saddle is concerned, it makes a very good boat anchor, when filled with cement.

Good luck with your conversion! Let's swap pix when we're done! :)

Rick

Thanks Rick, will do! Mine seems to be some 2-layer material (maybe not royalex?). I have compared my boat to a Pyranha side by side and understand the difference. (although...which one had rounded ends vs. pointed ends?) Will be happy to swap pics, just don't know the timeframe...I'm in college and this is something I'm trying to get my dad back into the water with. I love the boat and love how it paddles! My only concern is being in the SE....not sure how long the boat will last on these rocks :)
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

One man's solution: http://www.gapaddle.com/images/stories/ ... repair.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or this: http://www.mohawkcanoes.com/care.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Mad River: http://www.madrivercanoe.com/faq/index/ ... oyalex_faq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Using g-flex: http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/Upl ... xcanoe.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

sc-vapaddler wrote: . . . Mine seems to be some 2-layer material (maybe not royalex?). I have compared my boat to a Pyranha side by side and understand the difference. (although...which one had rounded ends vs. pointed ends?) . . .
Interesting stuff -- takes me back. Way-y back. . .

From what I recall, (and I may be corrected by someone more knowledgeable,) after Nolan Whitesell designed the Piranha, Mohawk may have purchased the rights to market the hull under the name "Scamp". In turn, Western Canoeing obtained the rights to make a composite version, called the "Challenger", with a Clipper sticker on it.

I bought a Challenger, and, fearing for its safety on rocky rivers, also bought a Scamp. I do believe the Scamps were Royalex, though maybe Richard can comment.

Both boats featured the trademark bulges in the chines, amidships, which greatly enhanced their performance when heeled over. However, I think I recall the Challenger was more bulbous in the ends, whereas the Scamp was sharper in the ends.

Bottom line was the composite Challenger, IMHO, outperformed the Royalex Scamp hands down. The Scamp was sluggish, whereas the Challenger was lively.

As mentioned, thirty years later, I still have that Challenger in my garage, where I'm currently converting it to a tandem/solo configuration.

Delighted to hear you're also preserving a heritage craft! :P

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !