vintage slalom videos?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

overthehill
c

vintage slalom videos?

Post by overthehill »

I've really enjoyed watching the Olympic slalom events and am wondering if there are any vintage slalom videos available (other than the '89 Worlds)? --Especially of the DC C'1s 'back in the day'?
It's amazing just how much Bill Endicott's team of Lugbill, Hearn, Ford, Robisson and company gave to the sport, not only in terms of style, speed, and an unprecendented winning streak, but boat design as well. I would love to see some old footage if it's available.
lung
C Guru

Re: vintage slalom videos?

Post by lung »

That's funny. I thought about making this same post last night. Although I was going to request to see some more OC1 slalom as well. I would also like to see some more old school rodeo. I grew up skateboarding and I always loved watching old skate videos. Where are the classics?
lung
C Guru

Post by lung »

Sorry if that's a bit of a hijack overthehill.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

How does 1957 work for you? :lol:

http://vimeo.com/20975551" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (this one also shows the roots of rodeo/freestyle and steep creeking)

1967 ? This one is in color...
http://vimeo.com/34679680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1971 http://vimeo.com/19635188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (be sure to check out the major sponsor banner at 5:44)

All of their other videos should keep you occupied for the next few months...
http://vimeo.com/wwtv1/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

You might want to obtain a copy of the classic slalom video Fast and Clean, which follows various slalom racers trying to make the US team in 1979 and then features their historic performance at the World Championships in Jonquiere, Quebec (the first time the Worlds were held in North America). This was the breakthrough Worlds for the US Team in which the US C-1s swept all three individual medals, as well as the C-1 Team gold, and Cathy Hearn took K-1W gold in both slalom and wildwater.

I believe that Davey Hearn still sells licensed copies of this milestone classic on his website: http://www.daveyhearn.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
overthehill
c

Post by overthehill »

great info- thanks guys!
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

I have several old VHS videos I'd like to put on the Internet. "Fast and Clean" is a classic, most notable to me for one of the great moments of understatement I have ever seen in a film (so understated that I did not understand at first what had happened at the end of Linda Harrison's run). I have some incredible footage from the 1985 Worlds and a piece on the Hearn/Lugbill rivalry. I have to believe that, in addition to incredible paddling, I also believe paddling gear reached its apex of cool during 1985 slalom competition. The Batmax c-1s that both Hearn and Lugbill paddled (Davey's black and red, Lugbill's natural kevlar colored), as well as the old school "domer" helmets and mere t-shirts that they were wearing during the Worlds have probably never been topped. (Perhaps even cooler because rec paddlers looked memorably dorky during this era. :D ) There is also good video of the 1992 Olympics in Seu d'Urgell, which includes footage of Jon Lugbill's remarkable fourth place run (somehow to me more stunning than either Lukas Pollert's controversial winning run that day, or Lugbill's more-heralded winning run in 1989). I'll have to work on getting these put online.

I wish I could get my hands on the 1995 Worlds tape, which I was once loaned by Davey, but gave back. On this video, a 35 year old Davey Hearn wins the World Championships, holding off perhaps the strongest C-1 field ever, including Jon Lugbill (who would have won but for a careless touch), a 16-year old phenom named Michal Martikan, two-time champ Martin Lang, and assorted others. After the race, the American team carried Davey Hearn in his boat back up the course. Davey has many of these great old tapes in his basement in Bethesda. Perhaps one day we could put them all online. I'll try to work on mine.

AB
overthehill
c

Post by overthehill »

AB, if you could upload those videos, well I, for one, would be forever grateful !