Olympics.....Dude.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Olympics.....Dude.

Post by KNeal »

Tasiadis of Germany just busted a HUGE first run in the semi-finals on the first run. NICE! Now waiting to see if Florence, Martikan, and Estanguet can do some more of their spectacular racing on the second run today. Regardless, we'll get to see all of these racers in the finals.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Craig Smerda wrote:... looks as though shorter and wider is 'in'...

I thought Martikan's paddle looked short (and wide), but then again it would have to be since he is sitting on a 2" saddle (or is he flat on the bottom of the boat) - the kayakers looked taller!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

WARNING! SPOILER BELOW! DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO WATCH THE RESULTS YOURSELF

WOW! Martikan had an awesome run! Estanguet, however, raced better. A big surprise performance came from Elosegi of Spain which netted him fourth place. The biggest performance came from Tasiadis AGAIN! He got the silver medal leaving Martikan with the bronze.

Way to go, Olympians!
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
french erick
C Guru

Post by french erick »

whoop whoop!!
Erick Baillot
jatakasawa
C Guru

Post by jatakasawa »

Was just watching the C-2 event. You can really tell who has it together in the first few gates. There was a noticable difference in the way the Chinese, French and Slovakian whipped their boats around. You can see the propulsion those teams get with their synced up strokes. Not knocking the other teams but you can almost tell who's going to qualify by the 5th gate. Impressive to say the least.
Chester the Brace Monkey.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I watched the Semi's at lunch and the Finals after work... awesome... that's all I can say in a word. To even be in this field is a huge accomplishment... to even come close to the top three is incredible.

Allow me to say... if you watched Estanguet in his Semi run he was totally relaxed and is actually to an extent (my perspective here) feeling out the water and the gates for his finals run. If there is a guy out there that makes a full-on race run look graceful and totally effortless it's Tony Estanguet.

For what it's worth I hope this Olympics inspires many people young and old, male or female to at least try slalom racing... from my point of view there is nothing better one can do to improve their river running and creeking skills in the off season more than by running gates.

OOO
.OO.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
lung
C Guru

Post by lung »

Definitely made me want to give it a try. Where do you run gates in the off season?
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Craig Smerda wrote:there is nothing better one can do to improve their river running and creeking skills in the off season more than by running gates.
Slalom is cool, but what's the "off season"?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

off season is when creeks aren't running and the rivers get low... so for me that'd be summer. :lol:
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

It does help if you have a suitable location and, more importantly, more than 1-2 folks interested in slalom and maintaining said gates.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

you don't need gates to practice slalom moves... that's what all those rocks are for! :lol:

one thing I can say about these man made courses that I don't care for is that all the current runs straight down the middle... so it's eddy left... eddy right... eddy left... etc. they need to start building plastic features that go in the middle of the river or find ways to split up the current some.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Craig Smerda wrote: ... from my point of view there is nothing better one can do to improve their river running and creeking skills in the off season more than by running gates.
Craig Smerda wrote:you don't need gates to practice slalom moves... that's what all those rocks are for! :lol:
That's how I run rivers, at least sometimes.

Gates <> rocks, though - rocks affect the flow and gates don't. Gates give you a targets for moves that aren't necessarily river features. They're definitely cool, but you need a community of folks to take care of them, especially if you are battling hoards of drunk tubers (and that cause access issues like we have here but that's another story that's really ticking me off).
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Watching the C2... Florance and Hundslow just stomped the course with a time that could put them 2nd in the womens K1, and the only clean run... Pretty impressive paddling.

And the poles are real giving it some too!
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

this thread should be titled...

"If you plan to watch todays olympic slalom events this evening...
DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD!!!"

:lol:
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

Interesting that, in the few C2 heats I was able to access online, I didn't see any cross strokes from the bow paddlers. Is that standard practice, or just the style of the few teams I was able to see?