New River Gorge, WV 08/04 - 08/06

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Froman1136

New River Gorge, WV 08/04 - 08/06

Post by Froman1136 »

Planning on taking the wife kids and friends up to the New river Gorge in WV the first weekend in August. Never been on this river, however; I have tried to do some research on the river and still have some questions. Can anyone help me out.

I will have 3 kids ranging in age from 8 to 13. They have been in the canoe controlling on their own on the French broad for some time now, however; they have never been through more than a Class II rapid and I do not want them to be shooting more than a III on this trip because they will be in their own boat. Reading the maps and doing some research I feel that if our trip stays between Sandstone and McCreery would should be in some fun but easy stuff with any threes allow a path around. Is my assumption correct?

Time? I am looking for a 4 - 5 hour trip the first day, no more than a 6 to 7 hour trip the second, and then a 4 hour trip to the pull on the third. With these time goals and starting at Sandstone Where will I be ending up the first and second night and where will I be getting out? If thats a little too specific how many miles do you cover on this stretch of the river per hour?

Camping? My assumption is that there is primitive camping that can be done on this stretch. Is this reasonable?

Thank you