Thinking in advance--next boat for me?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Deb R
C Boater

Thinking in advance--next boat for me?

Post by Deb R »

I know this has been covered a lot, but it's my turn to ask. I'm starting to give some thought to my next boat. I'm currently in a Zoom, which I really like a lot. Prior to the Zoom, I paddled an Ocoee, which I also liked a lot but found it a bit wide for my reach. My first boat was an Outrage, which I didn't love so much once I discovered the Ocoee. That, of course, could have been because my paddling skills have improved since owning the Outrage.

I am currently pretty comfortable in class III water, and dabbling in class IV (New England rivers). I just (this past weekend) managed to roll an Ocoee in a pond a few times, but I couldn't roll my Zoom. When I own a boat, it really is my only boat, so whatever water I take it on, it has to do. I don't have a fleet with boats for different kinds of water.

I think I'd like a bit of a change from the Zoom, not because I don't like the Zoom, but because I want to see what I can do in something different. I have been giving some thought to the following (and I know these boats are totally different from each other): Spark and Option. The Spark: I like the idea of a nice light boat that I can carry and maybe would have speed to work with. I haven't had a boat with speed since the Outrage, and I didn't really make use of it then because I was a beginner. But, is it primarily a slalom boat? I'm not interested in racing. Is it a good boat to roll? Coming from boats with edges (Zoom, Ocoee), will I have the same level of control? Is it good in a rocky river or is it a bit fragile? Will I find it too much like an Outrage, or is it really different? The Option: Rock solid stable, but can really spin on a dime (I tried one briefly). Heavy, but dragable if I can't carry it. How's the rolling in one? How do people like the outfitting? Will I find it too much like the Zoom, or is it really different?

Which one would be better for stepping up to class IV? For improving skills? For versatility? Any comments? Other suggestions?

Thanks a lot for any and all help.

Deb
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Re: Thinking in advance--next boat for me?

Post by arhdc »

Wow, you have picked two very different boats.

There are many, many folks here who can do a better job of this than I can but I'll give my $0.02 anyway.

To keep it simple you are likely to be happier with the Option if you are wanting to step it up. The Option rolls easily, comes with nice outfitting and is bomber stable. On the flip side the Option is much more similar to to the boats that you have had before and if you are looking for a real change then the Spark may be your ride. I think that while a Spark would be an ok only boat, it begs to be part of a fleet :D . Coming out of a Zoom I'm assuming that you would not have trouble keeping the Spark upright so that is not so much of a factor.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Any boat is a compromise.

What type of water do you enjoy the most (assuming that is what you will paddle the most)?

Both boats you list are excellent, and you are in a good place to try either (New England)... the question will be what do you primarily want out of a boat?

In my mind, and others far more qualified in the OC world I'm sure will chime in;) , the Spark is for speed - if you enjoy zipping around the river and making moves, go for the Spark!

If you want stability, and general use (and creeking) go for the Option.

Then there is always the L'Edge... and a few new boats out soon:)
Keep the C!
Adam
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Maybe a composite Stinkeye? coming soon
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I feel like a sponsored paddler sometimes (I'm not and never likely to be) because I am one of the only people paddling a StinkEye (the joke is that MikeyB and I are team StinkEye right now, oh and Carsten from Norway but we all built our own).

Having said that a composite StinkEye is going to be a lot like a SUPER light Option. Not as durable as the Option but if you aren't creeking and are not a rock brasher, then a valid option (sorry for the pun).
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Deb R
C Boater

Post by Deb R »

arhdc wrote:Having said that a composite StinkEye is going to be a lot like a SUPER light Option. Not as durable as the Option but if you aren't creeking and are not a rock brasher, then a valid option (sorry for the pun).
OK, I'm interested... Any chance of a Royalite Stinkeye? Something that could withstand the rocks in the East Branch of the Pemi, for example? I'm not in any particular hurry for a boat, just thinking in advance as I said. I'll keep my eye open for the StinkEye. Maybe Craig'll let me try his when he gets one! :D

Deb
Deb R
C Boater

Post by Deb R »

Well, I did a little search on "Stinkeye" and found this post from RodS last August:
Aaron, I'm at a loss for words. What a beautiful boat! And a great archive of the process...great pics!

JKaz, sign me up for two, short one for Deb, X version for me!
So, it looks like Rod already signed us up for them, but I better double check to see if he really means it! :lol:

Deb (still open to other suggestions and opinions if anyone wants to share them)
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I know I have recomended the Phiend, and there has been no sighting of it. But I think you might like it and if you dont like the weight of PE. look at the Maxim it is light, boof great and has great secondary stablity but most it is fun and has a better price point.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Hey Deb, A composite boat by Kaz can withstand most punishment you can dish out , they are not too hard to fix if you need to. I want a light creek boat for those carry in runs like the upper pemi or the Dry, etc...
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I haven't really paddled any of the boats you are interested in, but here is by take on speed. Speed is good if you can use it to avoid holes, rocks and sieve lines you want to avoid. Otherwise you just get to your doom much faster. Imagine running Freight Train on the Took, which you've done many times in your Zoom. You've typically run the lip center and then driven right to an eddy, just skirting the holes on your way. In the spark your going to have much more speed and unless you commit early to run a right side line your going to have much more speed which will take you into the hole or holes that you would normally just miss. This is a simplification but I want to point out that speed requires earlier commitment that you might not be used to. The L'Edge and Option are going to be much more familiar to the way you paddle now.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
woro90
C Boater

Post by woro90 »

There is no such thing as too fast boat. Any boat allows you to go slower but only some allow you to go faster. And faster is safer anytime you are heading somewhere you did not intend. In fact, faster boat can travel slower in relation to the obstacles, because it is faster upstream as well. There is only too long to carry, too narrow to be comfortable, not turning fast enough or too different from other boats. Not too fast.
Paddle solo, sleep tandem.