SUP! (Stand Up Paddleboarding)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Re: SUP! (Stand Up Paddleboarding)

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Krikket- the problem with funny water and eddylines is that ocean surfboard inspired SUPS tend to sub out and sink the edge when hit with a cross current, its just not designed for any of that. A higher sidewall really helps with that.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

i just saw the price of a board/paddle for $2500! ay kittery trading post. that wold be 2 octane91 boats for me.50% of the boarders i have seen this season have been on thier knees paddling. the interesting thing i find is gender specific boards. sup for women are advertised on here too.
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

The question here for me is -- why has stand up paddling seemed to catch fire as a trend, while striding (standing up with a kayak paddle) never did?

(And stepping beyond the good-natured wisdom I'm sure we all share about the superiority of the single bladed paddle.)
woro90
C Boater

Post by woro90 »

hazardharry wrote:i just saw the price of a board/paddle for $2500! ay kittery trading post. that wold be 2 octane91 boats for me.50% of the boarders i have seen this season have been on thier knees paddling. the interesting thing i find is gender specific boards. sup for women are advertised on here too.
Some canoes are percieved as women's or junior boats as well - and if something is as riddiculously expensive as those boards, the feeling that you bought the one just for you must be included ("one size fits all" sounds cheap and does not allow for having the best toy if the others have the same), it sells those things better.

Good point, Alden :D
Paddle solo, sleep tandem.
Deb R
C Boater

Post by Deb R »

Here's some SUP old school--Mel Noll paddling Dragon's Tooth in the Dryway in 2008 in his self-designed and self-built canoe. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLleivougZw&NR=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deb