"New" Creekboat Outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

"New" Creekboat Outfitting

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

So, I've been outfitting a Jefe-Grande and decided that I'd prefer an all strap setup; inspired by the all in one setup in a lot of slalom and WWR boats I decided to try and add a one pull release to that idea... It's not exactly original, more of an evolution of an idea, but I think it's quite a good system all the same.
Canoe-Diagram-One.jpg
To explain a couple of the labels more fully; the tray is a piece of plastic bolted to both footrest bolts which curves with the shape of the boat but rests on foam, allowing me to put U-bolts though it. Equally, the U-bolt with the shackles attached is through the center rail, with a little foam around it to hold the bolt off the hull of the boat.
Canoe-Diagram-Two.jpg
The straps start at the footrest bolt, run through the front U-bolt, and then to the snap shackle (I found a d-ring was neccesary to link the strap to the shackle cleanly) and up through a triglide adjuster, which is on a seperate bit of strap attached at the seat bolts.

You just drop into the boat, clip the d-rings to the shackles, and cinch the straps tight with the adjusters... if you pop the shackles, there's instantly a lot of slack allowing you to come free easily.

A side note, depending on the boat and your preferences, it may be neccesary to bolt the straps further back than the footrest bolts and seat bolts allow, in order to get secure in the boat. The former can thankfully be accomplished by having bolt through the "tray" which is already attached to the hull; but the latter requires a new hole drilled, I chose to put mine next to my hips.

I'll try to post photo's of the boat and me sat in it, when I get a chance.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)