dagger ovation

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PatrickOC1
C Guru

dagger ovation

Post by PatrickOC1 »

found a real good deal on a dagger ovation, im looking for something for overnight trips and bigger volume runs than I run in my prelude or c1 playboat...(dont like big wave trains in either of those).
so im looking for comparisons boats of that general style that ive paddled include Nitro(alot), Detonater(once), and a mad river outrage(maybe three times) has anyone paddled a few of those to be able to let me know if im in the ball park. boat has a strap system set up from the NOC so im assuming i can haul gear with it as i am 140lbs and generally have room in my boats.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Re: dagger ovation

Post by Shep »

It seems like a lot of people aren't fond of the Ovation, but I think it is a pretty good boat in its class. It won't be as dry as the Nitro, I think, but certainly much drier than a Prelude. You can hotten it up quite a bit by pulling in the gunwales if you want, but, in stock width, it's pretty stable. As an 11 foot boat, I wouldn't think of it as a tripper, but it's probably got more volume than most 11 foot boats (I think the Nitro probably has a bit more). If you are going to be able overnight in any 11 foot boat, you probably can in the Ovation. Oh, if you do narrow the gunwales, it turns like a banshee, but won't track at all. Not good for overnighters.

Short version... If the price is good, grab it. If not, a Nitro might be a little better fit for your goals. The Zephyr might also be a good option, but it's likely to be more expensive/fragile than both of those.

Hope this helps,
Shep
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

Of the hulls you listed, the Ovation is most like an Outrage. 1' shorter, a little bit slower. Similar handling. If you pack like a backpacker you might be able to camp out of it.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

I didn't mind my Ovation. When I'm tripping I'm more just pushing through the river rather than working every feature so for this purpose at your weight it should work just fine.

However, I'd be careful what you read into this statement:
TommyC1 wrote:Of the hulls you listed, the Ovation is most like an Outrage.
The Ovation to the Outrage is like a Volare to a Vette!
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I have heard of paddlers not liking the ovation, some call it the slowvation. But then again, I know someone who loves his ovation. It is stable and predicable, both good tripping features.

I also think it would be similar to what you are used to, the nitro and detonator.

At you size, you can trip fine in an ovation or other similar sized boat if you pack light. Some people would prefer a longer canoe for ww tripping, say 12 to 13 feet.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Post by PatrickOC1 »

Im used to backpacking anyways so the packing light wouldnt be an issue for me, saw one in person yesterday and think ill end up waiting on something a bit longer, probe 12 or the like thanks for the input though appreciated as always.