Stomper 90 or Remix 79?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Stomper 90 or Remix 79?

Post by the great gonzo »

I am looking to get a new decked boat, for both creeking and multi day trips. Due to various reasons I am pretty much set on Liquidlogic for that.
The problem is, I have to order blind, i.e. without being able to test drive first, I am looking for some feedback, hopefully someone has paddled them both and can tell me how they compare in speed, stability (primary and secondary) boofing, resurfacing after drops acceleration, turning, all this kind of stuff. I weigh about 190 lbs, but the boats will have to carry a load to once in a while.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: Stomper 90 or Remix 79?

Post by Craig Smerda »

the Remix has less rocker... :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Will you take some input from somebody who drives a Remix 79 and got to look at a couple of Stompers this weekend? The Stomper, as I think I saw it described, looked to me like they split the difference between the Remix and the Jefe - more rockered, more volume, less edge than a Remix and conversely to the Jefe.

The Remix 79 floats me fine at 220+ and feels like it has reserve beyond that. I still call it my "easy button" but it will occasionally do odd things on eddy lines (probably because I'm used to edges it doesn't have) and it's no fun on flat water of any length. But... none of that should be a surprise. I do find mine to be very heavy compared to other boats and I don't think my outfitting is that heavy - it was ordered as a shell and I wonder if they didn't consequently make it thicker.

$.02
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I would think a Karnali would be a good alternative to a Remix. I haven't seen a Stomper in the flesh, but for a conversion c-1, I would prefer less rocker and more initial stability.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

if your set on LL.. get the stomper. I have no experience whatsoever, but I hate the look of that backender button on the remix back deck :wink:
Larry
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Interestingly, its never done that to me....
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

thats because underneath that skirt you've got the steely-eyed resolve of an open boater.
Joe
we'll c
C Boater

Post by we'll c »

TGG,

I sure like the Remix 69 you picked up for me at the Grand Canyon. Stable and fast! Don't know the Stomper though.

I think Franc from TRU bought a 79, and might be able to comment on it relative to the Stomper. He sure was happy with his 79.

Thanks again! :D

Bob
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Bill canoes and I have done an overnight in Remixes. He in a 79 and I in a 69 (28# of gear plus me at 180). If you are going to do a lot of self contained trips I'd go for the extra volume of the Stomper 90.
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

The Stomper resembles very much to the Jefe - just with a few pronounced edge. So I guess the Remix is more stable and tracks better.
imagine
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

Stomper for creeking and overnighters for sure. I would look into the remix if you are a one boat kind of guy but I think you have enough boats to fill the niches a remix covers. Just don't expect to have too much fun river running in a stomper.
CanoeBoy
Pain Boater

Post by CanoeBoy »

Just my personal opinion but I prefer my 79 to the stomper kayak that I have demoed. The remix has just the right combo of speed and stability. The speed helps with crushing big water lines and the stability helps with allowing extreme edging to ease changing direction. As far as the low volume stern, i feel it is an excellent positive, i use the potential to sink it as a chance to make quick changes in direction. I don't feel it is hinderance or makes you more likely to backender, leaning back or being complacent does. Also, remember to order Pink!
BillP
C Boater

Post by BillP »

I was suspicious of the "backender button" on my Remix 79 (aka Remax) too, but with no skill on my part it appears to do what it's advertised to do - i.e. kick the boat up to about 30-45 degrees and push it out of a hole. On numerous occasions I've found myself heading into holes that I had no business in, and lo and behold, just a little stern squirt a bit of acceleration and I'm out. If I could just master a facial expression that says, "I meant to do that." instead of "what the heck just happened?" I'd be golden.
GosuPaintballer
C Boater

Post by GosuPaintballer »

the great gonzo wrote:I am looking to get a new decked boat, for both creeking and multi day trips. Due to various reasons I am pretty much set on Liquidlogic for that.
The problem is, I have to order blind, i.e. without being able to test drive first, I am looking for some feedback, hopefully someone has paddled them both and can tell me how they compare in speed, stability (primary and secondary) boofing, resurfacing after drops acceleration, turning, all this kind of stuff. I weigh about 190 lbs, but the boats will have to carry a load to once in a while.

TGG!
If you are gonna be mostly paddling class IV and V creeks go with the Stomper, but for class II - IV get the Remix. The Remix has more speed then the Stomper, but the Stomper has much better secondary stability and resurface from drops much better. I think the turning would also have to favor the Stomper a little better too. The Stomper was designed for the Green Narrows in NC. So unless your running stuff like that, you'd probably be happier in the Remix IMO.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Thanks for the input guys. I pretty much ended up tossing a coin :roll: ... ended up ordering the Stomper 90.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau