Did the L'Edge kill the Detonator?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Stingray
C Guru

Re: Did the L'Edge kill the Detonator?

Post by Stingray »

It already has leveled out
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I d agree. I d say the L'edge fever leveled out, was replaced with Blackfly fever... and now that seems to be leveling out. Everyone loves new stuff.
clarion
C Guru

Post by clarion »

I think I'm coming down with a Phiendver ... 8)
It AIN'T bent.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

DougB wrote:If there was a thread asking which canoe is best at slicing bread the answer would likely come back as "the L'edge"

From a strictly realistic standpoint, I would have to say some kind of c-squirt.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

TNbound wrote:
DougB wrote:If there was a thread asking which canoe is best at slicing bread the answer would likely come back as "the L'edge"

From a strictly realistic standpoint, I would have to say some kind of c-squirt.
Or a Viper 12, cuz it loves to carve...

ba-dun...chhh!
Chris Loomis
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

Agree.

Anybody else notice all the ALF videos?

And they're all made out of ticky tacky..... there's a green one and a yellow one and a red one and a red one and a red one and a red one and a red one, and they all look just the same a red one and they all look just the same......

(apologies to Pete Seeger)

Big Al
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I don't think "plastic-mania" is going to end anytime soon.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

... at least until folks start getting back in to lighter composites (for non-creeking).

Once you've paddled a 20 or 30 lbs boat that is nice and stiff it is hard to go back to lugging around a 50 or 60 lbs beast... and lighter boats are much more lively on the water 8)
Keep the C!
Adam
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Sir Adam wrote:... at least until folks start getting back in to lighter composites (for non-creeking).

Once you've paddled a 20 or 30 lbs boat that is nice and stiff it is hard to go back to lugging around a 50 or 60 lbs beast... and lighter boats are much more lively on the water 8)
Yes, but is there anything besides creeking? :D
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Creaking?
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Todhunter wrote:
Sir Adam wrote:... at least until folks start getting back in to lighter composites (for non-creeking).

Yes, but is there anything besides creeking? :D
If you don't live in the south, yes. Whether you want to paddle things other than creeks in an open boat is another debate.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
CJimPaddle
c

Post by CJimPaddle »

I loved a Detonator to death several years ago. The chines ragged out so much that I gave up after patching them 7 times. For years, I tried several other boats but they just never performed like the Detonator. I recently bought a new one and couldn't be happier.

The biggest problem with the Detonator is that the angled chines flex where the planes meet, where-as rounded canoe hulls distribute the flexing over a broader area. With this dynamic, the hull fails prematurely on either side of the pedestal along the edges of the lower chines. I've seen it on many used Detonators over the years.

In my opinion, Esquif has really dropped the ball by not insisting that the Royalex manufacturer beef up the lay-up along those structurally weak edges.

Love the boat, but hate this manufacturer's oversight.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I wonder if you couldn't preemptively beef it up with some ABS or glass to prevent the flex?
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Cjim but remember all the canoe copanies buy there royalex from the same people, the only one in the world who make it. They are not real happy to change anything and they would be just as happy to never sale royalex. So the point is it is hard to get Spartech to help you in anyway what so ever.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

CJimPaddle wrote:... insisting that the Royalex manufacturer beef up the lay-up along those structurally weak edges.
RX comes in a sheet form... they don't offer thicker materials in 'part' of the sheet... the entire sheet is one thickness. As Richard stated all the Royalex that every manufacturer uses comes from one source. It doesn't matter if it's a touring boat or a ww-boat.
Craig Smerda wrote: Royalex process

Nova Craft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwASNzmIj5Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mohawk factory tour teaching kids how canoes are made...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3O8KKe0PWs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter