How much of you teach canoeing

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jakke
CBoats Addict

How much of you teach canoeing

Post by jakke »

Just out of curiosity, reading some topics lately I have the impression quite a few of you are coaching.

I have my certification as well, but I'm happy to have 2 sessions a year or so.Guiding I do more though, most of the time on grade 2-ish rivers though.

What do you do, and where?
- clubs, own business, ... ?
- on demand, weekly sessions, ...
- which level: flatwater, river, whitewater, creeking?

Some important insights you want to share with us?

In my experience people are quite happy after a session -most of the time back to the basics on the lake. but it's hard to make them come back for another session.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Re: How much of you teach canoeing

Post by pblanc »

I've been involved informally as an assistant instructor of some type in whitewater canoe and kayak clinics with paddling clubs a number of times over the years. I have occasionally taken out friends and acquaintances who wanted an introduction to paddle sports. I have taught a number of people how to roll kayaks.

I also do volunteer work with a local nature society that runs canoe trips on a local Class I creek and some lakes. People of all ages go on these trips, from grade school to older adults. For quite a few of them it is the first time they have been in a canoe.

I have observed a few things that might not have been obvious initially.

I have seen "experienced paddlers" who had done a lot of flat water paddling and were now trying whitewater who really had no clue whatsoever as to how to handle a boat in current. They usually couldn't predict the effect that current would have on their boat, had no ability to do any type of cross stroke, eschewed using a proper stern pry because it was a "Goon stroke", and often kept attempting to steer the canoe with ineffective static bow draws or cross draws, and/or C strokes that were overpowered by the current. Some of these folks were resistant to learning because they were "experienced".

Folks learn in different ways. Some are very analytical and benefit from a discussion of hydrodynamics and paddle stroke mechanics and need to ponder things out before they master a maneuver. Others are very kinesthetic and learn by "feel" as in "feel the Force, Luke". For these folks lengthy discussions are not only wasted but might be confusing. They need to feel it to learn it, but once they do they often have it nailed.

Some people are just not going to be able to learn from a given person. Or perhaps, some people are simply not going to be able to teach certain other people. They just don't connect on the same wavelength. Yet another instructor can explain something and demo it in exactly the same way and the student "gets it". So it pays to have several different instructors whenever possible.

Young people are often just not going to pay any attention whatsoever to something a person my age says, no matter what. That certainly doesn't apply to all young people, but it does to a sizable percentage. I have consistently observed that the girls tend to be more receptive than the boys.
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

I teach class 2/3 whitewater (what ACA considers level 4) in a university program. We offer a weekend river class during regular terms and a week long combined kayak/canoe class during break. This year I'm trying a summer session class as well - hoping to get enough enrollment for that to "make." The program also offers flat water classes that are a prerequisite to the whitewater class, but I don't teach any of those.

Insight? For true beginners, stability rocks (especially if they can't roll :). For someone with zero experience and the typical nerves/sensory overload that come with first time whitewater, a super forgiving boat lets them spend more time trying moves and less time self-rescuing. You can always move them into something shorter/twitchier once they start to "get" it.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I teach once a year when our club offers classes to the public and advanced classes to our members. An interesting observation is that our best attended class is beginning moving water and yet hardly anyone who takes the course sticks with the club--despite the fact we give them a free 6-month membership. In contrast, very few people sign up for beginning whitewater, but generally if they do, they continue being members. I'm also observing that most of the interest in our club now comes from people encountering us through our website, facebook, and YouTube videos. We're seeing an uptick in interest in whitewater canoeing from it.
chrisj
c

Post by chrisj »

I coach both canoe and kayak. Up until now it has mainly been to our local club but I am not looking for freelance work. I mainly coach flatwater at the moment as I'm only a BCU / UKCC Level 2 (for those that are familiar with qualifications over here in the UK) which doesn't qualify me to work on whitewater, but I have coached a few friends on grade 2 .
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

I was a canoe instructor at a boys camp in the Adirondacks summers throughout college. That's also where I was introduced to decked boats, as the camp had a half-dozen kayaks that I was responsible for, so I taught myself to roll one from AMC Whitewater handbook so that I could teach the kids. In grad school, I taught some beginning WW kayak classes for the Penn State Outing Club (beginners never wanted to learn to canoe).

However, in more recent years my instruction has largely been limited to more informal advice and coaching of other paddlers. Among these other paddlers were my four kids whom I taught to roll and paddle a variety of boats, before coaching them in slalom. My only formal instruction in recent years is a beginner's slalom clinic from time to time.

John
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

For those around me who are interested in learning, I show them the poor techniques that I have taught myself over the last few years. It's working out so far.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I teach canoeing every day im on the water :wink:
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
RobG4
C Boater

Post by RobG4 »

I'm going to give the perspective of someone trying to learn WW canoeing.

It is very difficult to find instructor led courses in WW canoeing for someone who is a beginner.

I live in NE Georgia, in a region that seems to be the hot-bed for open boating.

Over the last 9 months, I have been researching open boating instruction options in my area.

From what I have found, there are only three options (assuming you are not a Boy Scout or Student) if you are a total beginner.

1. Contact your local canoe club. In my area this is the GCA. They teach a few open boating classes for beginners in the summer. HOWEVER, these classes require that you have already purchased all your gear. Canoes, paddles, helmets, outfitting, etc. For a person interested in testing the waters, this is a huge commitment, and basically writes off the canoe club as an option for someone brand new to the sport. Most of their events require trained beginner level, so you have to take the instruction courses to participate. Some other clubs in neighboring states offer rental/loaner equipment. I am looking at attending club instruction events in TN.

2. Take the class at the NOC. I am signed up for a 2 day class in April. They provide all the gear. However, as of now, there are not enough people signed up in my class for them to hold the class (only needs 2). So I may have to wait later in the summer. Having purchased a boat recently, If this course doesn't go, I may take option 1.

3. Find open boaters and ask(beg) them to take you along. This I have done, and had 3 great trips so far this spring. But for intensive, focused instruction (this is how to paddle, this is how to ferry, this is how to eddy) I would prefer some good structured learning.

It surprised me when I first started looking into this how difficult it is to find structured classes for beginners. Kayak classes are 10 for a penny. But you have to work for it, and wait a while usually, to find canoeing classes.

Or go to Canada.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

it like riding a bicycle or walking and chewing gum... :o
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Rob,
A total sameless plug for thecanoeguru.com hit Eli up. A group of 4-5 people in my nj area are going to pull ELI in for the weekend. Make your own class and just post it up here or the FB GDI group what weekend works for you and Eli. Fill your own class.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I've taught a number of folks to roll, and have given instruction here and there from beginner to intermediate paddlers.

Not many new paddlers around here (though I offer to lots of folks to let them try out or borrow boats and help them get started).

The local Adk does a tremendous amount though.
Keep the C!
Adam
Al Donaldson
Pain Boater

RobG4-----a bit off-topic, but ----

Post by Al Donaldson »

-----Take a look at the Arkansas Canoe Club Whitewater School.

It's not in Georgia, but it is a well-run set of classes and is closer than Canada.

See: http://www.arkansascanoeclub.com/Defaul ... eId=543452" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Avenue
Cedar Falls, IA
(319) 277-3194
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

RobG4 wrote:I'm going to give the perspective of someone trying to learn WW canoeing.

It is very difficult to find instructor led courses in WW canoeing for someone who is a beginner.

I live in NE Georgia, in a region that seems to be the hot-bed for open boating.

Over the last 9 months, I have been researching open boating instruction options in my area.

From what I have found, there are only three options (assuming you are not a Boy Scout or Student) if you are a total beginner.

1. Contact your local canoe club. In my area this is the GCA. They teach a few open boating classes for beginners in the summer. HOWEVER, these classes require that you have already purchased all your gear. Canoes, paddles, helmets, outfitting, etc. For a person interested in testing the waters, this is a huge commitment, and basically writes off the canoe club as an option for someone brand new to the sport. Most of their events require trained beginner level, so you have to take the instruction courses to participate. Some other clubs in neighboring states offer rental/loaner equipment. I am looking at attending club instruction events in TN.

2. Take the class at the NOC. I am signed up for a 2 day class in April. They provide all the gear. However, as of now, there are not enough people signed up in my class for them to hold the class (only needs 2). So I may have to wait later in the summer. Having purchased a boat recently, If this course doesn't go, I may take option 1.

3. Find open boaters and ask(beg) them to take you along. This I have done, and had 3 great trips so far this spring. But for intensive, focused instruction (this is how to paddle, this is how to ferry, this is how to eddy) I would prefer some good structured learning.

It surprised me when I first started looking into this how difficult it is to find structured classes for beginners. Kayak classes are 10 for a penny. But you have to work for it, and wait a while usually, to find canoeing classes.

Or go to Canada.
It is pricey but NOC offers private instruction in whitewater open boating. It is a lot cheaper than driving to Canada. Meals, lodging and transportation are not included, however. There used to be a price break if you had more than one person. If you are starting out I think it is better to have a small group of 2 to 4 paddlers because one-on-one an NOC instructor will wear a beginner's butt out.

If you go this route I would request Jimmy Holcombe.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I teach a little when people twist my arm (or just ask). I do it to get more people into the sport. I am not ACA certified but I did take a couple instructor workshops. A lot of how to "by the book". I'll second the recommendation for Eli the canoe guru. I wish he was in our area!