Electric pumps can be handy...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

busterblue
CBoats Addict

Electric pumps can be handy...

Post by busterblue »

Electric pumps can be handy...when this happens during your trip.

Bill M
C Guru

Re: Electric pumps can be handy...

Post by Bill M »

And duct tape too. Sorry about your boat. Do you know anyone near who welds plastic?
Bill
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

That looks like the spot and the kind of crack a lot of Esquif L'edge owners had with the early boats. Perhaps some of those owners might chime in with the resolution they had on that--particulary if your boat is under a year old.
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Bummer man! :cry:

Is that a L'edge?
Peace Pow and Paddling!
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

It is indeed.

I was just wondering if there was any point in contacting Esquif? Or should I stop crying and start welding? (Or, more specifically, paying beer/money tribute to someone with a welder).

It's true about the pump, though. :) Hopefully that doesn't come up too often.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I suggest contacting Esquif as an FYI and in the off chance that the manufacturer thinks that the crack was due to a defect. Send them the boat serial number. They may be willing to work with you.

The question is whether cracked boats are because of a manufacturers defect or simply the way that the boat was used or even design elements of the boat.

Arguably the manufacturer would only replace a boat if it was a manufacturer's defect. So unless you have a compelling argument that the boat had a bubble in the plastic, was thinner than it should have been, was over-cooked, or something like that, I would doubt that the crack would be called a manufacturer's defect.

Sorry about the cracked boat! Theoretically, anything is weldable.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Here's a suggestion that I picked up on some forum some time ago. After welding the crack cover the crack on the inside of the boat with layers of duct tape or Gorilla tape. After each layer heat the tape with a heat gun then roll all the bubbles out with something like a wallpaper roller.

I hope that you can salvage the boat. Those L'Edges are great boats. I have way too many boats to use up before I can justify buying one. :cry: By that time the L'Edge will probably be an "old school" boat. :(