better... easier ???

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Have 'newer' boat designs opened up new runs and generally made paddling better and easier for you?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:07 pm

Yay
71%
Nay
29%

Total votes: 14

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

better... easier ???

Post by Craig Smerda »

Have the 'newer' boat designs that have come out in the last few years opened up new runs and generally made paddling more technical whitewater better and easier for you?
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Re: better... easier ???

Post by Cheeks »

Yes, but only when I use bilge pumps and a full face [quietly exits]

In all seriousness, the new designs of the last couple years are definitely more stable/forgiving and that makes me more comfortable pushing the envelope. It's almost like that was the point of creating the new designs... :o
Chris Loomis
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

You can't put new wine into old wineskins.... I'm old, and intend to get older by not pushing the envelope. I aim for more precise performance on easier water (hence....) so I look for slalomey rather than creekey features.

Plus, I look stupid in short boats.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I've reverted to a 2001 boat, so that's a big no from me.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Cheeks wrote:Yes, but only when I use bilge pumps and a full face [quietly exits]
Attachments
worf-startrek-facepalm.gif
worf-startrek-facepalm.gif (897.26 KiB) Viewed 3237 times
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

KNeal wrote:
Cheeks wrote:Yes, but only when I use bilge pumps and a full face [quietly exits]
Chris Loomis
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Have new designs made it better, easier? I don't know. What year did the Prelude come out? I haven't paddled a better boat than the Prelude, but then the entire Blackfly line is a bit of a mystery to those of us in Oregon. None of us yet have made the leap of faith. I've bought the T-shirt, but not drunk (or paid) for the Kool-aid.
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

I have enjoyed testing out the newer designs and have been lucky enough to put my hands on them (at least briefly). However the things that have vastly improved my paddling skills have been:
*paddling for a week straight (fortuitous rain and schedule last summer) and
*paddling more rivers and more difficult rivers.
*oh, also learning to roll and
*having a boat better sized to my height/weight.

I paddle a Prelude, and prefer that for most runs. I once told someone who was asking about the new designs that what I would want one for would be "running hard stuff." They informed me that I was paddling the hard stuff.

I decided that was true. The Prelude is very rewarding in all water. I guess if I find some really hard stuff I want to paddle, I'll give those new designs another look.
pmp
CBoats Addict

Post by pmp »

yeah for sure. ie: the l'edge, the confidence it instills in staying upright and punching stuff will definitely help.
Before Dooley got a l'edge all I ever saw him do was class 2 rapids... now look what he's doing :)
paul
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca