hooters

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cposton

hooters

Post by cposton »

Just bought a used Millbrook Hooter and I need to outfit it. I can see from the MIllbrook website that the asymetrical canoes designed by Kaz are often paddled both ways, that is with the upturned stern as the bow, or the upturned stern as the stern.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the stern as the bow?

And how does one find the proper position of the seat to obtain the best performance surfing, spinning, and accelerating?

And one final question. Can the Hooter be used as a tandem for partners in the 360 pound range?

I really like the light weight of this canoe. What a treat!

c
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Re: hooters

Post by cheajack »

Please re-title this thread to Millbrook hooters
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

cheajack wrote:Please re-title this thread to Millbrook hooters
It'll get more views as it is though... I grant you that.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

Is it actually common practice to outfit boats to use backwards? I saw an Esquif KRAPS at the river (Spark) and the consensus from those trying it out was that it was that the name fit - a good way to ruin an otherwise great boat.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

I'm no authority on slalom canoes, but I know I see some people around these parts running slalom canoes backwards for tandem use. I think all the solo ones I've seen have been forwards.

I'm sure Kaz will have a better answer.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

The Dagger Prophet had quite asymmetrical rocker although the rocker was greater in the front. A number of people apparently preferred paddling that boat stern first.

I tried it and I thought there were some mild advantages. It was a little easier to engage the bow on eddy turns, for example. But it was wetter and I wound up turning it back around.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I think the original poster is confused. The larger rocker is generally in the bow of the boat, not the stern. As to the usefulness of turning the boats around, I think that was mostly limited to the solo/tandem designs like the AC/DC. Soon Kaz will enlighten us.

Shep
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Might be thinking of the Howler. That tandem boat has twice the rocker in the stern that it does in the bow.