T-Grip Attaching

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

CurlyFries
Pain Boater

T-Grip Attaching

Post by CurlyFries »

Recently cut down an aquabound edge. I've tried using two types of glue with no luck.

http://www.biosafe-inc.com/marine.htm
- Waited ~ 80 hours but it came right out

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en
- Gave it 16 hours and it felt bomber. Paddled on it today and the grip twisted 90 degrees mid run. It sucked.

Any tips on attaching it?

Thanks,
Dave
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Re: T-Grip Attaching

Post by TNbound »

I'd try 3M 5200, West System epoxy maybe with some high density filler, and potentially some form of mechanical attachment, i.e. putting a peg through the grip/shaft.

Do you have a picture of the joint?

EDIT: I should make it clear I didn't mean try all those things at once... although then it would be REALLY secure.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
CurlyFries
Pain Boater

Post by CurlyFries »

Yea I was thinking about putting a small bolt or pin through. Nervous it would make the shaft split though.

What do you mean by high density filler?

Here are some pictures.

Dave
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

CurlyFries wrote:.....
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en
- Gave it 16 hours and it felt bomber. Paddled on it today and the grip twisted 90 degrees mid run. It sucked.
I'd try roughing up both surfaces with some low grit sandpaper, cleaning both with denatured alcohol, and using a different epoxy (West System).
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I attach mine with West Systems Gflex epoxy with a couple tablespoons of Colloidal Silica filler/thickener thrown in to make it like a paste instead of a liquid, stays where its supposed to much better like that. The Gflex kit comes with a container of the thickener. I always then add a small metal spring pin through the shaft and grip peg to ensure it doesn't come out or twist. Never had one fail.. check out my review of the Core paddle to see the pins and all that.

Best of luck!
CurlyFries
Pain Boater

Post by CurlyFries »

Sounds like west systems Gflex is the way to go... But I have never seen it for sale in Ontario.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the input so far,

Dave
CurlyFries
Pain Boater

Post by CurlyFries »

Smurfwarrior wrote:I always then add a small metal spring pin through the shaft and grip peg to ensure it doesn't come out or twist. Never had one fail.. check out my review of the Core paddle to see the pins and all that.
Hey Smurf, not sure where to look. A link would be much appreciated!

Dave
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

"404 High-Density filler is a thickening additive developed for maximum physical properties in hardware bonding where high-cyclic loads are anticipated."

I'm pretty convinced you can use that with some west systems (not gflex, just the 105/205 system) for just about anything and it will be stronger than the pieces you are bonding.

Make sure both pieces are really roughed up and it should do the trick.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I used a long pop rivet when re-attaching T grips to Norse paddles. Just one is enough.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7965100&hilit=core" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well there is the link, but I just noticed that I have the spring pin covered up by the heat shrink covering in the pics...
Anyway, I do think that standard epoxy should be just fine in securing the grip, just don't rely on the adhesive to hold it, give something physical to add to the security of the bond. Its just too important for it to stay in place to trust only one method of securing it.
Jon
C Guru

Post by Jon »

LePage PL Premium 100% polyurethane construction adhesive. It expands as it cures so watch for squeeseout. Fills any gaps and is waterproof. Should be availalbe at Home Despot.
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

JB weld was recommended here. I used it for wood t-grip to Werner Bandit shaft (fibergass?) no failure one very solid year later. Tricky to find a way to let it set up square. You might think about that ahead of time. I used rubberbands and luck.
CurlyFries
Pain Boater

Post by CurlyFries »

Used one of these bad boys

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3 ... ?locale=en

As well as epoxy. Then sealed it all with a waterproof sealant. Then electrical taped it all.

Overkill and bombproof.

Dave
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

That's a great fastener idea. Thanks.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
drrpm
C Guru

Post by drrpm »

I replaced a T-grip somewhere around 10 or 12 years ago using West Marine Epxoy and its still rock solid.
You will need to remove the remnants of the previous glue jobs. That should roughen it up enough to get a good hold. I had tried some other glue first (I can't remember what) and had results similar to yours.