Mohawk "Whitewater"

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

nastynate79
c

Mohawk "Whitewater"

Post by nastynate79 »

I'm looking at a couple Mohawk Whitewater canoes but I can't find any info on their specs. One of them is supposedly plastic coated fiberglass and the other royalex. Also how they might compare to an Intrepid, Explorer, and Freedom 16. Thanks for any help.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Mohawk "Whitewater"

Post by Wendy »

http://www.mohawkcanoes.com/whitewater.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scroll to bottom for summary
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Do you mean a model specifically called the "Whitewater"? I've got an old Mohawk solo boat in the fleet that might be a "Whitewater", but it might also be a Scamp or a Rogue.
nastynate79
c

Post by nastynate79 »

Yes I was referring to the 16' tandem canoe called the "whitewater". As seen in these two Craigslist ads.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/boa/2882069190.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://gadsden.craigslist.org/boa/2886491381.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

They look an awful lot like our Intrepids - capable, versatile boats from flat water (maybe not a long lake crossing - flat, no hint of keel) to class II+. The Explorer's shallow V shifts it a little to the flatwater side (still good for class II+). I though the Freedom was the same boat set up for solo?

Plastic covered fiberglass? sounds like the uninitiated describing royalex...
nastynate79
c

Post by nastynate79 »

Thanks, thats sort of what I thought. Did Mohawk ever make whitewater style boats in fiberglass? I'm trying to get the serial number/year from the seller.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Yes, Mohawk did make composite whitewater boats.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
RobG4
C Boater

Post by RobG4 »

That Gadsden boat looks like a 'whitewater" canoe, if for no other reason it was probably outfitted with the saddle from the beginning. The Atlanta boat may be just a Blazer that someone is labeling a "whitewater" canoe.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

The Mohawk Whitewater was a boat made in the early 80's, It is the first version of intrepid series of boats. Yes at the time it was made it was a very hot boat. It was the first canoe i ever paddled. My dad took me down a lot of creeks in north AR.

As far as plastic covered fiber glass. NO this sounds like something someone would say that knows nothing about canoes. If they are asking more than a couple of hundred you should give Mohawk a call.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
youngwillyd
C Boater

Post by youngwillyd »

Take the green one, put the black perception saddle in it, put metal deck plates on it and you have my first white water canoe. I believe it was called "Whitewater 16" by Mohawk. It weighed a ton and was tough as hades. Mine was made in the 80's. Mohawk did make some figerglass boats but I don't remember which ones.

FRP is fiber reinforced plastic. Fiberglass, kevlar, carbon, etc. are the fiber. The epoxy is the plastic.