Painters

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ESP
C Guru

Painters

Post by ESP »

I have observed people utilizing painters with a diameter between 1/4" to 1/2" with corresponding strengths between 94 lbs to over 400 lbs. My Outrage has heavy duty painters. I was considering 1/4" painters for the Option due to weight and stowability. Looking for pros and cons of each to help make my final decision.
hankrankin
C Guru

Re: Painters

Post by hankrankin »

I say Boooo to painters in general. They just get in the way. But if you're gonna do them, carry a sharp knife
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

This might be a good place to start?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7964651
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    pblanc
    CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Painters probably only need to be really strong if you are using them to free a pinned canoe, but in that event they aren't usually long enough and you are generally using a rescue rope or bag.

For car topping tie downs and self rescues from current, you probably don't need super strong ones. I find that 1/4" wide painters tend to cut into the hands too much, however and prefer at least 5/16" if not 3/8" width.
    hazardharry
    CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

1/2 inch bright yellow floating rope 75' at wallyworld for $15. i keep mine stowed at my left hand in 2 jam cleats to be safe from entanglment. ditto on a good knife but better is the houdinin rescue tool. you can't get cut with it or cut anyone using it for its intended purposes.
    if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
    Smurfwarrior
    C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I use the painters from Westmarine, 3/8" I think... there is nothing as cool as being able to literally JUMP out of an OC1 and quickly tie the painter to a tree or drop a quick hitch knot into a crack without having to beach the boat when trying to help someone. Also, works wonders for lining a boat through and around stuff to a place you can easily reenter the boat that you left moored to the shore. Now that's stylish if you ask me.
    Cheeks
    CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Kevin at seven's set up of thick floating rope, maybe 1.5 inch diameter poly, tied to both ends at lengths of two feet or so, seemed like the safest set up i'd ever seen
    Chris Loomis
    TNbound
    CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Cheeks wrote:Kevin at seven's set up of thick floating rope, maybe 1.5 inch diameter poly, tied to both ends at lengths of two feet or so, seemed like the safest set up i'd ever seen

While that may sound safe, it doesn't seem very useful.... Not long enough to grab and swim with/pendulum a boat to shore, too short to tie up to something unless it is basically in the river and very small around, and massive diameter rope that is hard to tie knots/hitches in.

The safety is largely in how you stow it.
    -Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
    Smurfwarrior
    C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Alright, I'll post my super secret Painter line idea.. :) When I did the 'Canadian front handle Mod' on my L'Edge, it left a hole perfect for this. I use about 12' of 1/4" line that is fed from under the front airbag through the hole to a plastic grab ball thingy. I coil the painter under the front bag in a manner that keeps it from tangling but is pretty easy to pull out via the plastic ball while remaining tucked and secure with no real possibility of it becoming a safety issue. I've been using it for about a year and have deployed it about 6 times. After deploying, I reach under the deck and coil it by hand and then shove it down alongside the airbag and hull. Pretty easy. Its never come out when it wasn't pulled out by me. To take this pic, and show the line, I had to pull it out as the plastic ball is always tight against the deck.

caverdan
    Pain Boater

Post by caverdan »

Smurf,
    Do you worry at all about the plastic ball acting like a chock and getting caught between rocks while it's deployed? Seems like sort of the same thing as having a knot in the end of your painter, which I've always been told is a no-no.
    Smurfwarrior
    C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

When I deploy the thing, I'm either holding onto that ball or using that ball TO chock in a crack to secure the boat... or using the ball to help with a quick overhand knot around a tree. Like I said earlier, it does not deploy without me pulling it out. I've swim tested and boat solo hole ride tested it. Its so secure in there I've forgotten about it a few times...

Safety is one thing, being paranoid to the point things like this worry people to death is kinda counter-productive since its much much more dangerous to have feet and get a foot entrapment. Yes, feet are super dangerous.. when you swim.... dam those things are dangerous. :)
    philcanoe
    C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Smurfwarrior wrote:When I deploy the thing, I'm either holding onto that ball or using that ball TO chock in a crack to secure the boat... or using the ball to help with a quick overhand knot around a tree. Like I said earlier, it does not deploy without me pulling it out. I've swim tested and boat solo hole ride tested it. Its so secure in there I've forgotten about it a few times...

Safety is one thing, being paranoid to the point things like this worry people to death is kinda counter-productive since its much much more dangerous to have feet and get a foot entrapment. Yes, feet are super dangerous.. when you swim.... dam those things are dangerous. :)
    ... really don't consider it paranoid to consider all possibilities, and then weigh them versus all possible benefits. That's when this forum is at it's best, as opposed to posting in order to inflate one's ego. Not that anyone has in this thread.

So with that said, what keeps the loose rope from migrating out from under a deck? My past experience with tucking painters under deck plates (mine are even composite 3'feet long in length) has always led to them finding a way out. Which leads to a second question, in your setup would a free section be tied at two ends, and hence create a loop ? Where as a free painter normally would have a free (yes -still dangerous) end.

Just playing devils advocate :D looks rather nicely done.

For a third question - Just wondering out loud - what would you think about stuffing painter through hole (you made) into a small stuff sack or box, affixed to bottom side of deck?
      ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
      Smurfwarrior
      C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Your ego comment is borderline pissing me off. If no one has done so in this thread then keep your snippy comments to yourself.

The painter is coiled under the airbag. It's never moved from where I've put it. My experience with this setup trumps your devils advocacy. Mounting a container under the deck to store the bag would just make it difficult to stow after you deploy it.
      ian123
      CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

yikes. isn't it a holiday for you guys?? lack of water?

I am assuming the pic was posted to get others thinking about their own set up. If that was the case, than discussion should be encouraged... no one's being paranoid or egotistical.

I was thinking the same thing about the bobble getting snagged.... or the loop coming out from under the air bags. I've seen air bags wiggle loose from canoes before... I've also seen air bags burst.... so there is a small chance that anything under them could get loose.

Looks like another one of those situations where the user is willing to accept the small amount of risk. Not unlike the use of cow tails on pfds.
      Smurfwarrior
      C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Just trying to help, and not appreciating being nit picked.

Safety is always good, I'm not saying that it shouldn't be considered or pondered or debated... but what it can be is beaten to death to the point that some might be afraid of their shadow. The safest way to boat, is not to boat. We accept the risks and do our best to mitigate them prior. Please don't take my comments out of context.

Anyways...

My airbags might pop, but they are NOT coming out. They are secured on all three ends and encased in a bag cage with extra lines just to be sure. Great thing about a OC1, you can eject pretty quick if your ship is sinking... I like my painter line, it works very well, is (IMHO) much safer than having them coiled under bungie cord on a deck or tucked under a deck.