RepairIng using abS

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

scott curtis
C Guru

RepairIng using abS

Post by scott curtis »

aNY body have any pics of them working with the stuff? I recently started using fabric dryer sheets with it. I like to brush on a thin coat and let it dry a day before I slowly start piling it up.. Any interesting experiences with the slurpy clould be shared and appreciated
caverdan
Pain Boater

Re: RepairIng using abS

Post by caverdan »

Try ABS cement available in most hardware stores. It's basically ABS slurry pre-made. Also you can lay it up with S-glass. Go to Wal-Mart in the Automotive department and look for bondo. Somewhere right close to the bondo you will find fiberglass fabric ready to go for about $5.

I would apply a good coat of ABS cement, then push the pre-cut glass cloth into it, then lay on some more ABS Cement, then let that cure (let the solvent evaporate off before doing another layer. Don't want to trap that solvent in there and melt the boat down.

For repairing the foam part of royalex, I've used JB weld, but I hear you can also use the expanding urethane gorilla glue. I did delamination repairs this way. Basically cut out the abs to the edge of a soft spot, then strip the vinyl back around that for an inch or so to give the ABS cement something to bond to, then build up the crushed part of the foam using the JB weld or urethane glue. Sand that to a little under flush with what the boat profile should be, then start with the ABS/Glass layup, with your final layers ovelapping the existing hull. Lay on extra ABS on top, then sand down smooth(ish)and finally use some plastic specific spray paint to give the area some UV protection since you've stripped away part of the vinyl which usually does that job. I did a couple coats and gave them about a week to cure.

Good Luck! There's different methods, so get as much advice as you can. Also use google search and enter site:cboats.net then whatever search therms like ABS repair, Royalex repair, and whatever else you want. This will get you more and better info, as the built in search function can be frustrating.
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Re: RepairIng using abS

Post by boatbuster »

I have not used the slurry much. I prefer to cut and thermo-mold (with a heat gun or oven) thin sheets of ABS, then glue them to the damaged area of the hull using a heavy duty contact cement like Plumber's Goop. I usually fill in the crack with epoxy marine putty and if it is really bad, I put plastic both inside and out I have done a number of repairs this way and they have held up well.