Anyone planning to produce a longer OC1 in PE?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Anyone planning to produce a longer OC1 in PE?

Post by boatbuster »

I'm talking about something 10+ feet
hankrankin
C Guru

Re: Anyone planning to produce a longer OC1 in PE?

Post by hankrankin »

Sounds Heavy. a fully outfitted ledge is already about 60 pounds and its 9 feet, add another foot or more and thats like 70+ pounds
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Whilst none of the designers/manufacturers who post have ruled it out, the consensus in the community seems to be that such a boat would be excessively heavy...

IIRC Mohawks Fiend is only a tad shy of the ten foot mark, but I guess you were thinking more of something like an Outrage or Ocoee/Viper?
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:Whilst none of the designers/manufacturers who post have ruled it out,
I have, and I think Craig Smerda has as well. It would be excessively heavy.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

RodeoClown wrote:
TheKrikkitWars wrote:Whilst none of the designers/manufacturers who post have ruled it out,
I have, and I think Craig Smerda has as well. It would be excessively heavy.
If one was made about 2 feet longer, 6" narrower and 2" shallower... people would still say it was too heavy. So... no. :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:Whilst none of the designers/manufacturers who post have ruled it out, the consensus in the community seems to be that such a boat would be excessively heavy...

IIRC Mohawks Fiend is only a tad shy of the ten foot mark, but I guess you were thinking more of something like an Outrage or Ocoee/Viper?
The Phiend is going to be 9 foot 4 inches compared to 9.2 for the L'Edge and 8.8 for the Option. I am hoping that the processes will improve over time to allow for a 10 or 11 foot PE boat that does not weigh a ton. I like the hull speed of a longer boat for creeking although I own several boats less than 9 feet long.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

boatbuster wrote:I am hoping that the processes will improve over time to allow for a 10 or 11 foot PE boat that does not weigh a ton.
Unfortunately; the density, properties and relation therof of Poly(ethene) are all pretty much immutable; It's not inconciveable that we'll see new polymers or composites which have the charicteristics of PE that we desire in a lighter package; but it requires another field with more cash behind it to drive that kind of basc technology research...
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Too late = it's called a Old Town Discovery

Material Three Layer Polyethylene

Image 11 foot 9

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/gene ... y_119.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image 15 foot 8

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/gene ... y_158.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    hazardharry
    CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

old town pack is the worst watercraft ever. and i live in maine...
    if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
    sbroam
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

hazardharry wrote:old town pack is the worst watercraft ever. and i live in maine...
    I don't like the Pack, but my daughter does - she can pick it up. I still strongly discourage her from taking it on moving water... My vote for a bad boat, one of the worst, is the MR Adventure series -

http://www.madrivercanoe.com/product/in ... enture_16/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, look - 16 feet and 84 # of ungainly, uncomfortable polyethylene... If you can't kneel in it, it ain't a canoe.
    Mike W.
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Wow, Old Town doesn't make the Scout anymore :( Guess I'd better take care of the one I have. It's 16' of poly & only weighs 78lbs.

avlclimber
    C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

This boat is very popular, nearly 12 feet long, and weighs in at 55 lbs:

http://dagger.com/products/whitewater/l ... green-boat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe there's room for a speedy creeker canoe?
    RodeoClown
    BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

You could make a PE canoe similar in size and weight to the Green boat- but it would be 24" wide and 12" deep, and at 55lbs, people would still say it was too heavy.

From what I've seen, the three layer PE doesn't do well with impacts.
    Jeremy Laucks
    Owner, Blackfly Canoes
    http://www.blackflycanoes.com
    ian123
    CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

The boat would have be impossibly good to justify carrying it.

I love the L'edge and it's good thing... if the boat was mediocre, there's no way I d carry it. Add another 10 or 15 lbs... no way.

A 75 or 80 lb boat is not going to feel like the longer royalex/royalite boats that weigh half as much. It's going to be heavy to paddle.

Long boat lovers may have to learn to avoid rocks or get used to buying a boat every year or two.
    the great gonzo
    Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

not every PE OC1 is as heavy as the L'Edge. My Prelude, which is even a bit longer (9'5"), weighs about 48 lbs, and I am sure that, if I replaced the vynil gunwales with wood, it could drop by another 4-5 lbs. So 10ft + boat in the 50-55 lbs range seems possible to me.
    Concerning the 3-layer PE, I am not sure whether or not there are different grades, but I had for 10 years an Old Town Discovery Scout that saw a good deal of abuse that would certainly have wrecked any royalex hull, but it had only surface scratches when I parted away with it. at 16 ft it weighed 78 lbs, so I think that using the same material thickness a 11-12 ft boat would weigh somewhere in the 50-55lb range and possibly in the sub 50 lbs range if fitted with wood gunnels.
    The 3-layer PE might be a potentially nice compromise between RX and single layer PE. The drawbacks of it are that, it being a cross-linked material (at least the OT is), it is not really weldable and glueing in any outfitting is near impossible, but that may have changed with the availability of G-Flex.

Just my 02 cents.

TGG!
    Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau