Helmets

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ELGOTTO
C Guru

Helmets

Post by ELGOTTO »

I'm in the market for new headgear. I really like the Sweet Struter. Can someone give me the pros and cons of this helmet? Also does anyone know if the material that they are made from changing?
Thanks
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Helmets

Post by Mike W. »

I've only seen one of them break. It was a real hard hit in a drop & the guy said he thought it should have hurt, but didn't. He ordered another one just like it. Seems like a decent helmet if you don't mind the bill. I think that would get in the way of my grip arm, but everyone's style isn't the same.

I wish I could find another Bell.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

The plastic/composite base-ball hat design is pretty stupid in my opinion. A helmet is supposed to protect your head and those (and many other) helmets are focused on aesthetics. If there was any sort of safety standards for white water helmets I doubt we d see helmets like that.

I say leave the strutter for the kayakers at the local play spot.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

In what way do you think it is lacking in head protection? Whitewater helmets, generally, need to protect us against striking sharp/hard surfaces at a much lower speed than bicycle, climbing, and snow-sports helmets. For that reason, I consider the necessary features of WW helmet to include: Stability (won't move around on your head), abrasion resistance, good coverage, and a lack of overly-large holes (kindof the same as good coverage).

Shep
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

FWIW... I wouldn't consider a hard baseball hat with a big water grabbing bill on it... especially one that doesn't cover the back of your skull. Think of it this way... if you flip and tuck... well... it's either your back or the back of your head that are bound to take the abuse.

If I had to go out and buy a new helmet right now...

WRSI (Original or Trident)
http://www.wrsisafety.com/helmets.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SWEET (Rocker)
http://www.sweetprotection.com/whitewat ... ut&pid=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shread-Ready (any of them without a 'bill' and that cover the back of your skull)
http://www.shredready.com/products.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frankly I'd feel safer in an old-school Pro-Tec than a Strutter. Heck... I'd wear a hockey helmet before I'd wear a Strutter. :lol:

I've been really satisfied with my Happy-2b 'river runner' and have the marks to prove it's a great lid... but sadly Happy-2b is now Sad-2b-no-more.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

I must be stupid, I have a Strutter and it has been a great helmet. It fits great, has taken a beating and has held up well. Personally, I like the bill, it helps with our bright sunshine and keeps water out of your eyes when it is raining.

As Craig said, it does not protect the back for your head or ears. So it's not a creeking helmet and does not protect the lower parts of your head, as well as some other helmets that he noted. I have decided to go to full head coverage for creeking and shallower runs this year and got a sweet deal on a Sweet Rocker Full Face. I know, it seems a little overkill, until you need it.

Anyone else paddling with a full face?
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I'm sponsored by WRSI, so take this with a grain of salt, but helmet flutter when upside down is something to think about and take into consideration. The Trident by WRSI is my favorite as I just forget its on because its so light and doesn't flutter underwater for some reason and has just enough of a little bill to block the sun when I need it. The Shred Readys I have catch more water and I do notice them buffeting around underwater even with the thing cranked down. My full face SR Standard full face, not so much. I like the full face when on really manky runs. I had a Tdub that blocked my vision enough that I would just wear it backwards, I gave that one away..and that little brim does help to protect the nose a bit. The Sweet helmets are really well made and are super comfy. I've tried the Strutter and its nice. Has a different feel to the fit than the others and is really worth trying on to ensure its the right size. Only damage I've seen to a Sweet is the removeable Brim getting smashed. WRSI is coming out with a full face this spring called the Moment. Check it out.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

A little relevant history regarding WRSI... good company... great mission.

http://www.outdoored.com/anm/templates/ ... &zoneid=52" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Thanks for posting that link Craig. WRSI is a great company with the proper focus on what's most important due the loss their family suffered and in turn led to WRSI being created. It's awesome to be involved with people so committed to creating the safest helmet possible. Gills other son, Nick, now runs the company and he and his wife are also deeply involved in the playpark construction business. I've paddled with the owner of Sweet and he's a great guy who's really making a great product too.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

If you like the baseball cap style, why not check out Plateau Whitewater Helmets? Most of the GDI guys use them and seem to like them. I don't have one, but the custom colors sure do look cool.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I have a Sweet Rocker and a Sweet Full Face Rocker and like them both. Comfy and if you fiddle with the fit you can get it where it doesn't move around on your head at all. I lost a screw out of the full face and Sweet sent me a bag full of replacements at no charge.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

I like the look of that helmet too, but if you fit it tight and face strike a rock, its a giant lever on your c1-7 vertebra.....not exactly a design feature we're looking for.

Fortunately those face impacts of the vicious variety are few and far between. Fit is everything.....all else is murky degrees of how much risk reward you want to put on the table.....but I will say that I'm 238 face stitches THEM vs Zero for me since I've been wearing a fullface. Make of that what you will.

Edit: @Chea I take the visor off my sweet rocker so it does not chop and possibly break bones in my hand on bigger drops.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Here's a link to some more feedback/opinions on the two helmets in question. There is a link to a vid from the 2010 OR show with a mock up of the Moment WRSI Fullface, the production model is much better looking.
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f15/ ... 212-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Shep, ears and the back of head mostly... your brainstem hangs out the back. You also don't have to be under water to hit your head.

I m liking the look of the rocker helmets. I also like the WRSI helmets but I m disappointed that the trident doesn't offer ear protection. Hopefully WRSI continues to develop helmets
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Gman; thanks for the tip. I had already gotten the full face out of the closet and contemplated removing the visor after reading this discussion even though I'm far more likely to break my back than my hands from any unlikely big drops I may run. I recently looked at the Sweet ski helmet. It looks a lot like the Rocker with an added strap on the back to hold your goggles on.