Checking in after long absence...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

swriverstone
C Boater

Checking in after long absence...

Post by swriverstone »

Hi Everyone! It's Scott Wilkinson---checking in after a LONG absence (both from here and from paddling). Hope everyone is well and I'm glad to see the C-Forum still alive and well.

My life has taken a few big turns over the past few years...got divorced, then into another relationship...my GF and I had a baby girl (and loving that)...and started a new job as Creative Director for West Virginia University---and now living in Morgantown.

Recreationally, I drifted away from paddling (though definitely not for good---see below) and got heavily into mountain biking, which has been my obsessive sport for the past couple years.

I'm starting to miss paddling a lot though...and plan to get back into it this spring! It'll be a slow "recovery" for me as I'm pathetically out of paddling shape...so I plan to start with a lot of flatwater endurance paddling just to rebuild my (now weak) upper body...and try hard to avoid injuries (I know if I go out on the river and just paddle like I used to I'll hurt myself, LOL).

I still have the same slalom C-1 (a Zealot) I've had for years...and it's still in pretty good shape. But I'm contemplating buying a new boat---which is where I could use some info from you guys.

I have no clue what the current situation is regarding slalom boats...does anyone in the U.S. still even make slalom C-1's? I'd love to have someone make me a Fanatic, Fanatic II or Zealot (if anyone still has the molds for those). The current racing scene may have moved way past those designs, but I still love 'em and would be perfectly happy to have a new one.

I admit I've never paddled one of the newer slalom C-1's (the shorter boats)...so don't know how they handle. I think all the racers these days get their boats from Vajda and Galasport overseas...I could do that, but I need a bigger cut (I'm 220lbs) and I have the (possibly mistaken) perception that those overseas companies only make boats for tiny little runts, LOL.

I've considered getting a plastic boat (conversion)...but I know for sure I don't want anything less than 9 feet (and even that is short for me---once a slalom racer, always a slalom racer---I can't stand the lack of hull speed in short boats!) Has anyone converted a Green boat? (That seems to be about the longest plastic design on the market these days.)

So if you guys could help bring me up to speed (also where to buy good skirts and paddles these days---is Mitchell still around? I love their paddles...) I'd appreciate it! And I'm hoping/planning to make it to the Armada this spring.

Scott
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Checking in after long absence...

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Good to hear you're getting back into paddling, and congratulations on having your daughter

In answer to your questions:
  • Galasport and Vadja do produce larger boats (Galasport produce Two designs for people 85kg [190lb] and above; the ET and the El Scorcho) whilst Vadja can produce XXL cuts (over 200lb) on two boats and XL cuts (over 185lb) on the another four from the 9 they offer... Definately the UK importers don't normally keep any of the very large boats in stock, If the US importers do hold stock, I'd put money on it being the same situation, so probably a special order. I'm currently borrowing a Vadja Nereus 365 cut for about 85kg (I'm 90, but as loaner boats go I was lucky to get something cut within 15kg of my weight) and it's a lot better than my extrabat as a race boat.
  • As for convertions, you might find the Liquid Logic Remix 79 to your liking or even (if you can find one) a Robson Finkenmeister (which is built as a C1). Both of the Green Race boats (Green Boat and the Remix Stinger) have been converted, they're both comparatively narrow and tippy compared to normal rec boats, but if you've got experience in wildwater boats then they'd likely still feel solid as a rock.
  • Mitchell Paddles are still going strong, and I believe Mountainsurf and Skirtworks are both still making good decks.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

A hearty welcome back, and congratulations on the family!

For all of you who are new, Scott along with DaveM were the originators of the CForum to get folks organized for the C-1 Concordia in 1998. They graciously allowed Kenneth and I to start hosting it and take it over a few years after the event as the then-host had lots of pop-up ads, and we had already started CBoats.net (then only the virtual boat museum, info, and links) and it seemed a good fit.

Now to answer your questions...

PS Composites has many slalom molds, though they are not listed on his site. I'm pretty sure a Fanatic and F2 are among them. Not sure on the Zealot. You may also want to consider a Viper (based on a Cudamax). I do know who has a Stealth mold (and a SuperGlide mold sits not far from you at the moment...). Mitchell Paddles is still in business, but if you want to treat yourself check out Echo Paddles out of Canada - small maker, great sticks.

If you PM me your contact info I'd be happy to give you a call and help any way I can, and let you know some of the other goings on that may interest you.
Keep the C!
Adam
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Welcome Back!

And best of luck getting back into the saddle. It's still a wonderful activity.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Nice to C U back into the mess U created! LOL

Adam is right PS Composites has a large selection laying about their yard and the superglide sits as close. If you want I can bring the Fink to the Armada for you... keep us posted!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Scott:

The Dynamic, usually built as the slightly modified Super Dynamic, was the competing boat design from Davey Hearn the same year that Jon Lugill and Adam Clawson designed the Zealot. It's my understanding that the designs are similar and became more so when, shortly after the first few boats came out of the mold, each design was modified slightly, one to reduce rocker and the other to increase it. I used to paddle and still own a Zealot and when I see a Super Dynamic I have trouble telling them apart. Millbrook Boats has a Super Dynamic mold and I'm sure would be delighted to make you a new boat.

RE: Newer 3.5 meter slalom boats, Krikkit Wars has given you some good tips. I'm just a tad lighter than you (varying from 205-215 lbs.) and have managed to squeeze myself into a used Galasport Loco, Robin Bell's first design before he went on to design the IMO and El Scorcho. The shorter slalom C-1s do pivot VERY EASILY, but you will be pushing the envelope regarding the design weight limit, although less so if you get a new boat built as an XL model to maximize the capacity.

RE: Conversions - waterline length is great for speed, but also consider hull width for a stable C-1 platform. The conversion section of this website should give you some ideas of what boats have made successful conversions.

Welcome back!!

John
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Hi, Scott! I've been missing you (and Dave) over the years. It's a treat to hear what you've been up to. Congratulations on the youngest addition to you family! Ellen and I added a little girl ourselves (turning 6 soon) and she just loves to boat. :D I hope to see you soon, like at our armada if you can get to it. John and Joshua (Krikkit) gave the best big slalom boat answers. I've paddled the Loco (Great Gonzo's boat) and found that it carried great hull speed (in spite of being shorter) in addition to being a pivoting machine. If you get the opportunity, definitely try that and the Imo and El Scorcho if one is close to your weight range. I got a Fanatic 2 several years ago off of Scott B. and I love the daylights out of that boat. If you liked that boat then, you'll like it the same now. I personally prefer it now over the Zealot. John Kaz (somebody) has Millbrook and could probably make you one. Paul Schreiner definitely can.

Glad you're still around.

Neal Fleenor
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Welcome back, Scott! If the Armada date is favorable, I might see you. As someone with a slalom boat (Maverick +) and a conversion (Remix 79), i'd encourage you to try out a conversion - not just for 15 minutes at the lunch stop (you probably won't like it), but for a day or two (you might be surprised). Why? At first you will be thinking only about how slow and heavy it is, but given some time to play with it you migh uncover its other qualities... I like my Remix, but it is definitely not edgy nor even close to "glass fast" - there are some other "free runners" that might be zippier, carvier. As noted - a "long" boat like the Green boat is more like a wild water boat than a slalom boat. After all that, I'd bet you 40 pounds of "milk jug" you stick with a slalom boat :-)
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Welcome back! I picked up a used Vadja Nova from Casey last year. It's a 4 meter boat. I'm 190ish & it's not easy to pivot. This is my 1st slalom boat & it's suprisingly corky.

Congrats on your daughter! Don't blink, they grow up fast.

Hope to see you at the Armada.