Option!!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Helly
C Guru

Option!!

Post by Helly »

Hi all,
Best birthday present ever is that the Saint Francis was running this weekend about 17inches Sat, and 12 inches on Sun, and I got to paddle my new Option in pushy WW!
Punchline is that I absolutely love this boat! The boat tends to like 'creases' and so I was running double-drop, and on the 2nd drop it wanted to go to the crease (not so good in this case), so I leaned an edge & took a few strokes to avoid the crease....as I did I felt water coming over the gunwale....then with a quick flick of the knee, it was running flat again....there was absolutely no resistance....finished upright in an eddy....only to see my friend Dale with a throwrope in his hand! Said he was sure i was going over!
Being on the edge felt so comfortable...I didn't feel out of control for a second! What a nimble boat!
Running big waves or holes was not a problem...seemed glide right over or thru'em.
Surfs great! I also like the hull speed. To me it is like having two of my favorite boats in one....since my first canoe was a detonator & i loved the chines on it, and the ocoee with the flat hull and tapered ends.
Thanks Jeremy!
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Re: Option!!

Post by busterblue »

Sounds awesome. I've been enjoying the Option reviews. (Although I still haven't seen one in person, out here.)
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Yeah, there's a distinct lack of short plastic c-boats here on the left coast. the more I read about the Option, the more I just want to buy one straight off without even paddling one!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

truckeeboater wrote:. . . there's a distinct lack of short plastic c-boats here on the left coast. the more I read about the Option, the more I just want to . . .
Me too!

Jeremy -- any chance some Options ( and Ions, and playboats ) might show up at WESTFEST?

I think there's a good chance you might go home with an empty trailer, and full pockets. . . :roll:

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I'd really like to be at Westfest, and I'm going to make it if I can. I'm waiting to find out when the event at the whitewater park in Cascade will be before I commit. The biggest issue for me is it's looking like I'll be on the road from mid-May to early July, which is a long time already. If it's only a week extra, I can probably stretch it out, if not I'll see if I can find a way to get some demo boats out there.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

RodeoClown wrote: . . . I can probably stretch it out, if not I'll see if I can find a way to get some demo boats out there.
:) :P :D :lol:
C'est l'aviron. . . !
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

Pierre - Guess you have to come surf Trail or Brilliant in the New Year

Jeremy and all others, one of these days I'll get to writing a proper review.
Abreviated review - Luv it!

I think Yukon should buy his boy an Ion. I could give it a spring "break in", then deliver on my way home in June.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Mark shot this picture of the 'big one" on Mud Run, in PA.

Ever since I've gotten in the Option - whitewater canoeing has gotten easier... I've been stomping drops dry. - My overall impression - is its an incredibly fun boat that virtually does it all. it surfs great and boofs awesomely.

It doesn't snap into eddys as well as my Maxim, but that is to be expected with soft chines. The flip side of that is... when an unexpected cross current hits my edge, I dont flip instantly like I would in the maxim (nor fear such things as little cross currents anymore). Th Option edge may get caught briefly, then releases more often then not.

As for speed - she's got what you need!
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
Trex
Pain Boater

Post by Trex »

Just wondering what do you weight? Sounds like the black Option does everything you want and may actually last more than a season.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Does anyone have a weight on an option with bags and outfitting, and maybe even a pump installed?
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

With bags and outfitting as I ship them them, the current boats are coming in at 56lbs.- at least the ones I've weighed, and they've been pretty consistent.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Thanks, Jeremy.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles