pfd referral?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

scott curtis
C Guru

pfd referral?

Post by scott curtis »

Hey, whats a good jacket for a tall slim person that wants to float high? And I dont wanna have to pull it over my head. thanx
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Re: pfd referral?

Post by OC1er »

Check out the stohlquist descent, it's got a side zipper, more stock float than the green jacket, you can add even more float with a little blow up number that fits in the pocket. Super comfy vest also. Waldens Ridge stocks 'em.

Dan P.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
scott curtis
C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

Thankx Dan.. I have actually been all over that this morning.. I can find no-one to see it cheaper either it seems. IT"S RAING LIKE CRAZY
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Hey Scott, Imagine floating high...

... wouldn't be too hard in this one.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    TheKrikkitWars
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I'm a big fan of the Astral Green-Jacket*; I don't know if they've sorted the USCG licencing issues out though; if they haven't you'd have to order a side entry one from one of the countries that uses CE approval, which probably isn't worth the effort.

2nd place goes to the Hydraulics River Pro, Linky Linky; built like a tank, yet comfortable and non-restrictive.

Can't go wrong with the Kokatat Ronin Pro either, but it's a little bulkier up front.

The Decent looks like a pretty good option, not had a chance to play with one In the flesh though.

*I'm also noted as not being a fan of all the old-school Hi-Float gubbins that's still kicking about... you sacrifice much too much mobility in the water and in your boat for any percieved or real gain to be useful; the day someone can make a hi-float vest that fits like a modern creeking PFD, is the day I'll stop dismissing them as a whole class of PFD's. [cue argument with Phil?]
    Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
    floater
    c

Post by floater »

I recommend the NRS Bigwater Guide. It fits all of your specs,since you didn't specify a rescue vest.
    22 lbs. flotation. Long for a modern vest, so you get a little more back protection.
    Tall, slim, that's me. I *need* that extra flotation.
    philcanoe
    C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

(^above^) ... I use this one and it floats high. Like it, although it took a bit of break-in time to feel comfortable. Or perhaps simply got use to it. Might be skeptical about length, if not in a open canoe? ... nice price.
      ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
      scott curtis
      C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

Thanks yall! I'm looking out the window like I'm on crack, waiting for UPS and a Descend.
      ELGOTTO
      C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

I'm not too tall but tall enough and I love my Stohlquist Rocker.