saddle height

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dwd58
Pain Boater

saddle height

Post by dwd58 »

I have a probe 12 ll that I cut the saddle down to 8 inches. Thinking about going down another inch to 7 inches to get a little more stability. Yes, I have the usual numbness and installed ankle blocks , which help a little. And yes, I know the numbness will increase as I go down, but I just feel a little high centered and unstable on the bigger drops or on a long wave train with high waves. Of course my 210 lbs probably dont help, but just wanted to know if anyone else is using a 7 inch or lower saddle and how it was helping on stability ?
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Keep paddling with saddle at current height

Post by Wendy »

I raised the saddle an inch and weighed 200 at the time. Much more comfortable at 8 or more inches.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I went to 7" on a Spark and it made a huge difference, but I don't see how it could make that much difference in a Probe.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Seat height also affects the angle of entry for your forward stroke, so you need to look at that too. You want about a 45-degree angle. Too low of a seat can result in not enough angle so that you end up starting your catch pushing down on the water.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Yes it will help. Yes you ll go numb a bit sooner. No, going from 8"-7" is not going to bugger your forward stroke. 7" isn't really that low.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

Are your knees as wide apart as they can be? This will make a difference in comfort as you go lower. I paddle better when comfortable and need to worry about stability less when I'm comfy so I ride around in 9" + plus tall saddles.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

The L'edge is sooo comfy at 9" My Mohawk boats, Probe 13 and Viper 12 are at 7.5" Probably a good height for these but definately not as comfy, especially in the Viper. Could never figure out why since the outfitting is basically the same in the two.
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

DougB wrote:Are your knees as wide apart as they can be? This will make a difference in comfort as you go lower. I paddle better when comfortable and need to worry about stability less.
I can't disagree.

Another factor relating to width-of-knees and comfort is the thickness of the knee pads. Because of the weird hull shape in my Fink, I thickened the knee-pads to about 2". As a result, the knees were wider, but bent too tightly. So I padded the seat from my usual 6" to around 7".

Got the comfort back, and I'm no more unstable than ever, (which relates more to lack of skill, than to seat height!) :wink:

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !